Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a resident in Lanzarote, but not working and under retirement age. I understand that I am not covered for anything from the Spanish health system and today I found out that my private health policy doesn't cover me for Covid 19.

Now I'm understandably a bit concerned :(

Will I be left to rot ? Am I panicking too much ?

Thoughts appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Not sure what you mean by not covered? If you fall ill from Covid you will be admitted to hospital if deemed necessary and this will be free as it will be classed emergency. As far as vaccination are concerned unless you are registered at a health centre I imagine that you wont receive a vaccination spot ( how can they contact you?). Having said that I imagine at some point you will get offered one but given the sheer scale of the operation it could be a while.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what you mean by not covered? If you fall ill from Covid you will be admitted to hospital if deemed necessary and this will be free as it will be classed emergency.
I hope this is true :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
PHI for residency should provide full non exclusive non co-payment cover equivalent to the state system so if you insurer is excluding COVID (or anything else) than either you have bought a non compliant policy or they are attempting to retrospectively alter it's T&C's which they cannot do.

Frankly I believe that one way or another all PHI policies are a con, for an insurer issuing a policy without limits is like giving the client an open cheque and that way lies bankruptcy!

Companies are also at pains to tell clients when making their residence application to only present the certificate they provide and NOT the actual policy, there are instances of people either failing to follow that instruction or having the policy demanded and being turned away when it proves to have exclusion or co-payments (excesses).

They get away with it because those dealing with residency applications simply do not have the time to scrutinise each and every policy and once accepted nobody will be doing follow ups to see if the cover actually being provided is compliant.

Clients are in a Catch 22 because denouncing an insurer risks compromising their residency!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Not sure what you mean by not covered? If you fall ill from Covid you will be admitted to hospital if deemed necessary and this will be free as it will be classed emergency.
I know of several people who only have private insurance, and when they used the emergency services of the state health system they were treated - but then they were billed for the services. So it wasn't free. This was in Andalucia.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I though Andalucía had a policy of free universal healthcare? However, you should be given emergency treatment free but not sure about things like aftercare treatment . I imagine that is charged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts