Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago (6/8 months) we asked Bens parents to be vaccinated, many times. Nope too dangerous we could get sick or die. Anti vax believers.
The Niece that lives with them is a R/N and works in the covid ward in our local Private hospital, immunised and tested 2 to 3 times a week so we are safe say mum and dad, no Ben tell them (my push) you are not safe and can catch Covid,,,,,,,,,,My clear and concise proclamation to Ben was "if they end up sick/hospitalised I'm not paying for it, it's going to be their own fault.

Long story short Mum and Dad are in hospital for a week now with Covid, Mum not real well, Dad not so bad and no ICU yet. Niece isolated in the same hospital as she tested positive, no symptoms but gave the virus to her grandparents. (she lives with them) Sari store closed, no income, no money, sons and daughters no money, apparently, mounting bills, 150 to 200K so far. Ben asked me how are we going to pay for that? We I asked? But my family have no money, you Ben have near a million pesos in the bank in your name, spend it,,,,,, but that's for me! I said is that any different to your brother and sisters money that is for them and they are not prepared to depart with? Man up and deal with it, you know I refuse to be an ATM and clearly the reasons why.

I sat him down (heart to heart, hard arsed from my end) and reminded him that we give them 36 to 40K every year for the last 9+ years to help them out and I know the rest of your family give little or nothing, we set a precedent by doing that and now it's expected, you wear it, you have the money. Perhaps though you should talk to your siblings that can't pay or aren't prepared to pay for your parents wellbeing and stake a bigger claim if not all of your parents property, that it should be yours.
I can't do that he exclaimed.......... It's your money Ralph I said, use it correctly or lose it. But this is different he said! With my retort, the same as last and the next time, cover your arse and set some boundaries. Ben when I or you have no money who is going to help when you/I need to be pulled out of the sh*t. I did that with you and you know the limits, how far to push or no but your family still see you as a soft touch and you my friend are obliging. The bill in the end could/will be astronomical and your siblings are waiting to see how far you bend over, bend over but try to secure your money in one form or another. I then had to remind him that his sister asked him to help with his nieces off campus tuition fees 4/5 years ago, not long after we already gave (the operative word) them P 40K for the nieces dental braces. A loan, borrow and all us here know what that means even though I made it clear to Ben and his sister that the 40K was a gift all good but it's a loan now and the 10K and has to be repaid, he mentioned that to her a couple of years ago and she laughed at him, "what loan, that was a gift". Very convenient short memories here when it comes to Pesos. Still, there is a sucker born every minute and to date he has learn't little but I have learn't a lot. Time for the hard earn't savings from Australia to be squandered? Time will tell as always. Me as a hard arse have also told Ben that there will be no more annual funds from me (Yes always from my savings, the tide has turned) to your Mum and Dad, only my opinion but they blew it when refusing to have the free vaccinations as senior citizens and now seem to expect everyone else to pick up the fall out.

I dearly hope Mum and Dad pull through and get back to their normal existence but I also hope they pass on "perhaps you should get vaccinated" So you are not a burden on your family.
In the mean time Ben is at the local Municipal open court finally getting his first Pfizer vaccination, even though He was there at 6:30 am there were 4 to 500 people before him and he advised when about a thousand people were lined up they shut the gates, I'm sure he will be there most of the day and only a small part of what is happening throughout the whole world.

In the mean time I'm looking at other countries with regards to exit plans,,,, joking.

Stay safe all and as always sorry for the long winded "where we are at now".

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly Joe? I'm not even going to look at the links you so kindly provided as it's not coming out of my pocket and in reality I'm over the B/S and crying from the family including my better half. Live, die, their decisions were made and my 2 bobs worth is not worth a punt full of cold water, Ben and I are now fighting over this sh*t and apparently it's my fault, is it the same for people in other countries that chose not to be vaccinated and every one else picks up the pieces while they are potentially dying in some hospital? Dead, funeral.

The care and bills no matter the hospital or country can't fix stupid and so it goes on, I wonder who the winners are.

Appreciate your contribution very much Joe but it's a bad time for us simply because I have held my ground,,,,,, hence exit plan etc.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An add on Joe, My SIL and niece both work in the Lorma private hospital in SCF so I'm sure if there was better they would advise.

Cheers Steve.

·
Super Moderator
3,827 Posts
Good on you Steve for holding your ground... Well everything here is all drama and no one wants to take responsibility for their actions and we as foreigners will be expected to pay up. Even if you coughed up the cash they'll still be wondering what took you so long.

The poor citizen can utilize the free clinics/hospital but there are still some expenses, if the parents are using a private hospital then they are expecting you to pay up and probably worked that through the private hospital, not good.

My wife also refuses to get vaccinated and I told her to get the vaccination but so far she refuses, she's 63, i'll see if I can get mine soon but I don't really qualify yet I'm 59.

I'd say that your partners family expects and without a doubt pressures your partner to cough up the money = you. :(

Lack of money is the #1 problem I've encountered here with just about everyone including my own wife, she also wants to have her own money or savings, so thank you for your candor Steve and sharing with us your struggle, you might need to make some sort of sacrifice or token sacrifice, life is too short and you don't need a continued stress.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good on you Steve for holding your ground... Well everything here is all drama and no one wants to take responsibility for their actions and we as foreigners will be expected to pay up. Even if you coughed up the cash they'll still be wondering what took you so long.

As I said in the OP they (family) were well aware of the financial burden that could be placed on all the siblings if they contracted Covid because they refused to be vaccinated, "their choice" for sure but I made the family aware 6 months ago that we already contribute for their daily needs and "my choice" is not to pay medical bills and hospitalisations if they get Covid, met with blank stares but they certainly get the message now.
Ben is paying for everything, going to knock a hole in his bank account and deal with the fall out I will, He knows I stand my ground and have little time for fools.

The poor citizen can utilize the free clinics/hospital but there are still some expenses, if the parents are using a private hospital then they are expecting you to pay up and probably worked that through the private hospital, not good.

Their choice, daughter and grand daughter work in the hospital and is probably the best care for them now.

My wife also refuses to get vaccinated and I told her to get the vaccination but so far she refuses, she's 63, i'll see if I can get mine soon but I don't really qualify yet I'm 59.

Again Mark that is your wife's choice but you can get vaccinated now, no age restrictions, are you registered with your local Municipal? Ben and I both registered 6/8 months ago, had my shots as over 60 and Ben had his first Pfizer shot yesterday, he is 30 and no problems.

I'd say that your partners family expects and without a doubt pressures your partner to cough up the money = you. :(

More than true, except this time it's on Ben, his hard earn't savings from 5 years working in Australia. Mark there are principals involved here big time and I'm not backing down and what falls at my feet I will deal with and move forward and I am sure that his family now fully see that I am not an ATM.

Lack of money is the #1 problem I've encountered here with just about everyone including my own wife, she also wants to have her own money or savings, so thank you for your candor Steve and sharing with us your struggle, you might need to make some sort of sacrifice or token sacrifice, life us too short and you don't need a continued stress.
Appreciate your thoughts and wisdom Mark but for me it's come to "flogging a dead horse" and "you can't fix stupid".
Life will go on as it does. In the mean time we have a new roof to contend with, hopefully by the end of next week, the carnage with uprooted trees and debris on the beach though the locals seem to be gathering all the big stuff for their cooking fires. No Cignal tv as the dish was torn off the roof and ended up 40 metres away at the base of the uprooted mangos.
Just a thought, Ben handles all our money, goes into our joint account here from my accounts in Oz, withdrawn, kept in the safe and he keeps a ledger, his choice, I rarely look at it and I trust what he is doing,,,,,,,, lol, to date.

Anyway Dad seems to be on the improve but Mum still the same and receiving very expensive medication and care but not ICU and hopefully not.

Wow another rant, soz.

Cheers, Steve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts