Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody advise pleae, were looking to send docs from US to Sheffield and back to US again(florida)
What are the mechanics of this with courier companies?
How do we set up an account?
Who is best? TNT, UPS, FEDEX, DHL....?
What is approx price?

Any big no nos?

Trying to keep stress levels to absolute minimum as we are at our wits end with all of this palaver.
:confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
I don't think anyone is better than the other. The price is by weight. You need to set up an account on-line and then you can include a pre-paid, pre-printed waybill for the return of your package.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nyclon. Its just that DHL is big in the UK but Ive never even seen them in the US so waasnt sure about others' experience of their service over there.
I realise its by weight and just wanted an idea of how much others might have paid
I guess its easy then to set up an online account.

Just another part of the jigsaw...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I spent the day trying to figure out the same thing! I heard that this can be done using the United States Postal Service (they're mentioned on the UKBA website) but I went into the USPS in Des Moines and they said there was no such thing! However USPS would be half the cost of FedEx, so I really want to do it through them if I can. Anyone used a USPS waybill and know how to get one?

·
Registered
39,078 Posts
I suggest you stick to the tried and tested courier companies - FedEx, UPS or DHL, even if they cost more. You don't want to take chances with your passport and other valuable documents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok - any idea how I do that? I was in FedEx earlier today and they said the only way to do it was to create an account and they would bill it later, but the UKBA website said they wouldn't accept it. The UPS website will only let me create one if I set up an account - but I need a business to set up an account.

If anyone has any tips on how to do this,vI'd really appreciate it. 12 hours later and I'm still running in circles! Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can US docs go to Sheffield from the UK?

So i was thinking. My husband is stressed about all of the docs.
Can he:-
Apply online
Do biometric test
Complete and sign the VF4a form and appendix
Send the above docs to me, together with his passport

I can then prepare the bundle, including photos, evidence of relationship, all of my financial docs etc etc
I Send the bundle to sheffield with a prepaid courier waybill
Sheffield return the docs and passport back to him in the US.

The only thing that would be differnet is the 'postmark' of the sender, ie it would be sent to UKBA by me, not my husband.

Would that be acceptable to UKBA?

I just know i am better at paperwork etc than he is!:D

·
Registered
39,078 Posts
I don't see why not. But I have never come across anyone doing it for US applications, so I reserve my judgement.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't see why not. But I have never come across anyone doing it for US applications, so I reserve my judgement.
Hi can I just ask am I able to send my documents to a UK address for viSa when Applying for spouse visa rather then having to send it to Bosnia and then back again if they make a decision in the UK?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aargh i dont want to be a trailblazer, will probably do it the safe way then and send from florida not lancashire.
Thanks Joppa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.