Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's ILR appointment is this week and I just have couple of questions (for reassurance) as we want to make sure we have made no any mistakes:

Question 1: The form we filled is SET(M) April 2012 version. Even though this appear to be for spouse who are required to be a normal resident for 2 years, but because my wife has KOL-REQ on her passport, this I believe is the correct form even though some of the questions just does not fit our situation. Is this correct?

Question 2: Are we allowed to take laptop for this appointment or should we only take folders?

Question 3: We have one folder for original documents and other 'mirror-image' folder with all the photocopies. In addition, we are also taking another copy of the documents just in case its required. Is this a wise thing to do or should we take additional documents of support?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Manny

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
My wife's ILR appointment is this week and I just have couple of questions (for reassurance) as we want to make sure we have made no any mistakes:

Question 1: The form we filled is SET(M) April 2012 version. Even though this appear to be for spouse who are required to be a normal resident for 2 years, but because my wife has KOL-REQ on her passport, this I believe is the correct form even though some of the questions just does not fit our situation. Is this correct?
Yes.

Question 2: Are we allowed to take laptop for this appointment or should we only take folders?
Just paper documents. Laptop may not be allowed to be brought into the building.

Question 3: We have one folder for original documents and other 'mirror-image' folder with all the photocopies. In addition, we are also taking another copy of the documents just in case its required. Is this a wise thing to do or should we take additional documents of support?
You only need one photocopy per document. Just take those documents that correspond to the list on SET(M) form.

·
Super Moderator
5,180 Posts
It would appear that the UKBA likes to do this sort of thing (the whole "one size fits most") for their forms and the guidance notes for said forms... it can be so very confusing to the very confused (such as myself) and can cause a lot of undue stress. Ed (a governmental bureaucrat) can't understand why I feel the need to come here (and other places on the internet) for information when he says that the Guidance Notes are the be-all end-all source of information for this bureaucratic paperwork. Be that as it may (about the Guidance Notes being akin to the Word of God), he doesn't understand that the Guidance Notes aren't always so cut and dry in specifically indicating what they want and that (as an easily confused person) I am just trying to get an understanding as to what other successful applicants included in their packages so that when I go back to the Guidance Notes, I know that the documents and paperwork I am thinking about including with my application are actually the documents that the UKBA wants to see and not the wrong items, like that woman at her FLR(M) interview that 2far mentioned.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Joppa for your valuable feedback.

I totally agree with West-Coast-Canadian-Girl regarding the bureaucratic system, which is not only here but also, to a lesser extent from my experience, in the US. There is a lack of transparency and simplicity of use in the forms and guidelines on UKBA website. It appears to me that some of the information is confusing and illogical (like usage of SET(M) for ILR applicants just returning to the UK, really makes zero sense other than being lazy on their part to have put in effort making a separate form), which can really result in an applicant making accidental mistakes causing loss of both time and money.

Had it not been for expat forum I am sure to have made a couple of big mistakes somewhere which would have resulted in rejection of my wife's application, but thank God I found this website on time :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.