Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for being so stereotypical...i read through the forumn stickies though. A lot of good information in there.

I accepted a job here in Dubai and will be bringing my wife with me later this month. We are around in our mid 20's and unsure about making friends quickly.

I have been surfing all the local groups and forumns and it seems most of them are full of creepers looking for women. I am really trying to get my wife plugged in to some social groups or circles of people who are "like minded" and just friendly people who share the same intrests. I realize that Dubai is a city of people like us (ie working hard and trying to save some cash to go home in a few years) so friends are constantly coming and going.

If anyone has any advice post it up, we are just looking for a good starting point so she doesnt go crazy sitting at home all day while I work.

Thanks in advance
-JHavey

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
My advice would be for to sign up for a course somewhere. That has to be a good place to meet like-minded folk. Get yourself a copy of Time Out when you get here, as there are loads of activities listed.

She may also want to contact these people: The American Women's Association of Dubai as they arrange coffee mornings etc.

-

·
Banned
598 Posts
make friends where you live. a large percentage of the women stay home so she shouldnt have a problem finding friends to do stuff with during the day.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you look in Time Out, there are a few book clubs - mostly women only ones. Don't know if that's the thing, but I guess it removes the nasty, creepy guys from the equation!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
What interests does your wife have? I would think what interests a person would have would kind of dictate 'like' people types.

Coffee meetings and book clubs would be terribly boring for me and i would pull my hair out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.