Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through the forums quite a lot and it seems that, especially when it comes to spouse visas, there are people who submit similar documentation from similar circumstances but have differing outcomes, possibly due to their spouse's country of citizenship.

Which are the countries which are most likely to be scrutinised?

Which are the least?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know for certain, but from reading hundreds of accepted/rejected stories, it seems like the USA is by far the country with the most spouse visa acceptances. Spouses from the middle east seem to fall under a lot of scrutiny and most likely to be rejected on the basis of providing evidence of a genuine relationship.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't think that there is some difference. However, ECO considers sspouse's country when assessing their relationship considering menthality of different cultures in terms of marriage

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's accurate to say that applications from all countries are treated equally by UKVI. Perusing this board I see a more than a few instances of people from countries such as Nigeria who are denied a spouse visa on the grounds of not providing enough evidence of the genuineness of their relationship. I have to believe that there are certain countries which are more likely to set off "sham marriage" alarms with an ECO. Possibly countries which have a vastly different quality of life and nationals of which would find the most benefit in moving to the UK.

·
Registered
39,123 Posts
That's stating the obvious, isn't it? Of course visa officers will profile applicants according to the standards of veracity and honesty, and from previous experience. It's a sad state of affairs that some nationals are subjected to more scrutiny than others because of dishonest behaviour of some of their fellow countryfolks in the past.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You might be right. They probably have some statistics showing the share of fraud applications out of total number of applications by countries. And applications from countries which have higher share of fraud will be checked more thoroughly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hope canada is not one of them. also having been there paid my own way in everything, makes it more better for me..hoping so

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They probably have some statistics showing the share of fraud applications out of total number of applications by countries.
Yeah, this is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see. I would be sincerely surprised if there is an official document viewable to the public, but I'm sure that ECOs are given some guidelines to spotting a sham marriage and the country of spouse's nationality must be an indicator. I'm really curious about the statistics.

·
Registered
39,123 Posts
Such data will be for Home Office's internal use only, as can be politically sensitive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.