Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hope you can help me...I went to the Sous-Prefecture at Les Sables D'Olonne Thursday to get a new Carte Gris as I have just changed my car. There was a lot of heated exchanges between clients and the fonctionelles and people walking out. I patiently waited only to be told that all the machines were down in France and they could not give me a Carte Gris. I am going back to UK on Tuesday for 10 days so the fonctionelle stamped my application form and wrote a message on it in case I got stopped by Police. My question is were they on strike?? Did all their machines break down? She couldnt give me any idea of when I could go back.
Will it be alright to go to the UK with the old Carte Gris??
Thanks.:mad::eek::(

G

·
1. My sympathies at your forthcoming trial - I'm only going over for 5 days, and if I can reduce that to 4 I certainly will.

2. If you've got a 'note from teacher', ie the fonctionnaire, then that would IMV be good enough to produce even in court - it is signed isn't it...?

3. I doubt very much that many uk plods are so familiar with the french CG that you'd even need to produce the note from teh pref.

- I think most British plod would assume the CG is like the British V5 - and would be surprised that froggy law REQUIRES you to carry it in the car. From memory, it's discouraged in uk.

- I think that you'd have to explain that the insurance sticker in teh window is a french requirement, and you'll have to explain about the CT sticker also.

- the fact that you can offer a CG whose number matches the car, whose insurance sticker in the window is valid date-wise, and ditto the CT sticker, will be more than enough for most 'casual' stops; the plod are far more interested in stopping vehicles that are 'known' to them, via their in-car databases, and which will earn them a few bob; unless you were doing something seriously wrong, you'll be sent on your merry way toot sweet.

Tip - use a chinagraph pen to mark the speedo, if its kph-only, in MPH; not only will it enable you to avoid breaking their funny speed limits, it'll impress any plod with your foresight and wisdom....

In short, I'd not worry in the least, and concentrate on avoiding the natives. You have renewed your shots haven't you?:rolleyes:

G

·
I reckon "fonctionnel" is a definite misnomer, if describing a fonctionnaire!! ;)

There's a new law that came into effect two days ago, Thursday October 15th; that was probably the problem when you were there. The carte grise is out, now it's the certificat d'immatriculation. It also seems, according to the official public service website, that the sous-préfecture no longer handles these, only the main préfecture. No wonder there were irate citizens about.

For a second-hand car previously registered in France, the formalities are listed here.

Sounds like a trip to La Roche is required. No idea what the Brits will require, but they don't exactly look at the registration docs of every vehicle entering the country, and my guess is that an official looking stamp would get you through a short stay of 10 days.

Be careful how long you have to submit the application for the French paperwork though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MTC, We are a little worried at what we might catch over in the UK haha, and can't wait to get back, and thats before we go. I will take all the documents with us of course, I was a bit concerned about having time to renew the CG when we came back but I'm sure it will be ok as Frogblogger has explained another new law came into effect on Thursday and I have got a stamp on the application to show that I tried.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Frogblogger for the explanation, although I speak French there was so many irate people there and the fonctionaire spoke so quickly I couldn't understand the reason, she has stamped the application form and put a note on it but not signed it. But I'm sure it will be ok, so now I have to go to the prefecture at La Roche-sur-Yon, I hate it there!! haha!!

·
Administrator
50,465 Posts
Two very interesting bits of information from the sites Frogblogger mentioned:

You can apply for your certificat d'immatriculation (ex-carte grise) BY MAIL!!!

And, they say you can apply at ANY prefecture in France. Doesn't have to be the one for the departement where you live. (OK, this information may not have filtered down to the prefecture staff yet...)

By French standards, these are fairly earth shattering. (Then again, I'm still waiting to find out if I can get my new license plates without a departemental designation - or at least with 99, as in "all other".)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thanks Bev, hope you're right, I am going to try at Les Sables on Monday as the Fonctionaires at La Roche are so very...fonctionairiablle!!! If there is such a word. Wish me luck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.