Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello World,

I'm an electronics engineer from METU/ODTU Turkey. Some rule about diploma is a bit confusing for me to understand. If you had some experience in this field and can share it, it will be more than appreciated.

I got my bachelor's degree in 2008. My department signed Washington Accord so we have ABET accreditation. However, when I applied to visa type 189, I saw this notice:

The Washington Accord applies only to engineering degrees accredited by the representative body of the signatory country. (e.g. A Turkish qualification accredited by ABET will not fall under the Washington Accord as MUDEK is the representative body for Turkey).

It is extremely unfortunate that there is a rule like that. In addition, it is hard to understand its logic. But anyway, rules are rules.

I hope some of you are willing to share your application history with us to guide us.

/*Also maybe there are some new graduates from undergraduate curriculum who reads this thread. I have good news for you. If you apply in the first two years of your graduation, ABET is accepted as accreditation.*/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I've a BSc degree from ITU, which is also accredited with ABET; useful for US, but not for AU.

You need to go with CDR way, it can be either your study chapters or your work project related stories. I have done my masters degree for one of them and other two for 2 different jobs.

Just follow the steps on the website, and I suggest you to read here. People write useful stuff and their experiences. My experience was smooth, although I'm an Aeronautical engineer, EA assessed me as Professional Industrial engineer. Get ready to for surprises like that. Also, they may assess that you are an Engineering technologists, not Professional Engineer. Differences are written on the User Guide. I really suggest you to read it thoroughly.

Anyway, while writing your CDRs, my suggestions would be;
- Be as personal as you can, emphasise what you have done, how you played a role in that particular project/chapter, what was the aim, what was the outcome; what did you learn..etc.
- Try to stick to the word limit.
- Make sure you read the ANZSCO specifications written here Try to show how you fit into your nominated SOL code.
- Never ever (ever) copy even a slightest paragraph from a template or an already submitted CDR. It has to be original and 100% yours. EA has a really good copy control system and it may even result in total rejection of your application.
- SOL list is filling up, be quick! Definitely use FAST TRACK (They reply in 3 weeks with FT, otherwise it can take up to 12/16 weeks.)
- If you have no idea what to do as of today, I suggest you use on of the 2 registered MARA agents in Turkey. Otherwise your earliest invitation can be after July 2017.

Feel free to PM me in Turkish if you have any problems.

Reactions: HussainHiader

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your answer, Airbatross.

We are at the beginning of progress. I am also aerospace eng. from METU. I graduate at BSc 2010 and MSc 2014. I am working for seven years at TAI. My wife is a mining engineer and I am waiting her, she is preparing for IELTS.

I tried to send you PM but expatforum does not permit me, because of new registration and up to 5 post. Can you send me your email adress?

I saw your signature, you upload your docs, and waiting now?

Thanks again your reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts