Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Bit OTT, you can save money by doing the same Will that the Notary will Notarize but not entered in the Public Register i.e. you hold the Originals of the Wills.

See if there's any members of Balcão Único do Solicitador organization of Solicitors but work to better prices, for a lot of things not just Wills

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Portugal recognizes your Nationality of Birth, so if you are British you can legally make a Will in Portugal following English inheritance law, you do not have to follow Portuguese Law of Succession

If he doesn't understand this fundamental Portuguese Law then find a new Solicitor.

Theres nothing wrong with the route you followed, and is the same as cheaper option I posted, providing you have avoided some of the pitfalls with a UK Will in Portugal, Trusts and how ownership is stated, as has been covered before.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Siobhán recommendation is great but your bill with Neville de Rougemont & Associados will be well in excess of 1000€, plus travel, as their Algarve, Lisbon and UK based.

TM, No this has cropped up a few times, the major reason a Resident should not have a Will in English, is because it has to then be first Probated in UK (even if you have no UK assets) before it can be probated here.

As your Residents then you should make a Portuguese Will, a Notary will only Notarize documents in Portuguese.
Use an English form by all means, but you need to get it translated and then Notarized.

Your other choice is not to make a Will but then there's a very good chance that Portuguese Law of Succession takes precedence, which could be a major problem if their are ex spouses, children etc.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Not sure of current prices but probably around a couple of hundred, I'll send you a PM with a Notary who is quite happy to supply prices for services and also some other information.

You will have to have an interpreter under Portuguese Law so your aware of what is said and read out, same as Escritura.
Translation you'll need a good one, a Google translate would be correct enough.

Benificaries in Will should be clearly identified with Passport Nos. and NIF numbers if applicable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts