Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I love shopping at Costco & Ikea in the UK and just wanted to know if anyones been to the ones in OZ and whether the prices are ok or very expensive.

Does anyone in Brisbane know where the best place to shop for white goods, furniture etc, I just wanted to know if anyone wanted to share their experience on quality, price and customer service etc.

XX Satty :love:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Guys,

I love shopping at Costco & Ikea in the UK and just wanted to know if anyones been to the ones in OZ and whether the prices are ok or very expensive.

Does anyone in Brisbane know where the best place to shop for white goods, furniture etc, I just wanted to know if anyone wanted to share their experience on quality, price and customer service etc.

XX Satty :love:
If you get really desperate you can go to Melbourne. Costco just opened their first Australia store there. It has been a huge success so I am sure they will expand sometime in the near future!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

I went to the new Costco in Melbourne last week. It was pretty much like the Watford one I used to go to. Not the choice of fresh meet though, more emphasis on fish/seafood.

Still had the lovely croissants and muffins but the pizza (which I was sooooo looking forward to buying) wasn't the same (boo hoo).

Usually there would be some gift-type things to buy (especially around this time of year...toiletries and smellies etc) but there weren't any at all. And no huge rolls of wrapping paper either.

Of course in fairness I'll have to go back at least, oh, a dozen times to check it out some more :lol: Next time I go I'll check out some prices and post them. Was there anything in particular you'd like to to check for you?

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
let me know satty if you need anything else.. what do you think I have been doing since last three years.. gathering info :p

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dolly,
It was just to get someone's experience on the two as in Milton Keynes these are the main shops I go to with Asda and Tesco but I just wanted feedback really. Does it sell the danish pastry and kids carton juices etc. Also were you able to use your UK membership over there or did you have to apply for a new one. If you are going there again before the 11th Jan would you be able to do me a huge favour pls. Here in Costco they sell a very large safe, approx £199 + vat. it had a finger print scanner as well as keys and was approx 2 foot square. If you are able to find out if they sell this there or something very similar (ie finger scanner would be preferable) and how much that would be a big help as I was going to buy it from here to send over. Do they also sell the air hockey tables / snooker tables.

Kind Regards and thanx for your help
xx Satty :love:

Hi there,

I went to the new Costco in Melbourne last week. It was pretty much like the Watford one I used to go to. Not the choice of fresh meet though, more emphasis on fish/seafood.

Still had the lovely croissants and muffins but the pizza (which I was sooooo looking forward to buying) wasn't the same (boo hoo).

Usually there would be some gift-type things to buy (especially around this time of year...toiletries and smellies etc) but there weren't any at all. And no huge rolls of wrapping paper either.

Of course in fairness I'll have to go back at least, oh, a dozen times to check it out some more :lol: Next time I go I'll check out some prices and post them. Was there anything in particular you'd like to to check for you?

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
:) Thanks..

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Just been to Costco this afternoon (and it was 41 degrees in town!).....

No danish, couldn't see and cartons of drink anywhere and no air hockey/snooker tables. They do the trays of muffins and trays of croissant though.

There was one safe, about the size you mentioned but it didn't have a finger print scanner. It was $259.99 (excl tax) and a Sentry safe CS3803.

After going a second time I have to say how very disappointed I am ..... there just isn't the variety of the UK warehouses (although some SERIOUS bling, beautiful diamond rings etc). I can't say I'm in a hurry to go back.

Dolly

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dolly for taking the time. I would have thought being new to OZ they would have been outstanding.

Xx Satty

Just been to Costco this afternoon (and it was 41 degrees in town!).....

No danish, couldn't see and cartons of drink anywhere and no air hockey/snooker tables. They do the trays of muffins and trays of croissant though.

There was one safe, about the size you mentioned but it didn't have a finger print scanner. It was $259.99 (excl tax) and a Sentry safe CS3803.

After going a second time I have to say how very disappointed I am ..... there just isn't the variety of the UK warehouses (although some SERIOUS bling, beautiful diamond rings etc). I can't say I'm in a hurry to go back.

Dolly

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Not to put a damper on things, but you'll have to get used to it :lol: On day-to-day things really, you won't find anything 'outstanding'.

Dolly

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Dolly,

Well it's too late to have second thought for us now, we fly on the 18th ..... lol.

Forgot to ask were you able to use your UK membership or did you have to register again.

xx Satty :love:

Not to put a damper on things, but you'll have to get used to it :lol: On day-to-day things really, you won't find anything 'outstanding'.

Dolly

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Sorry Satty,

I forgot to answer!

No, you can't use your UK membership, you have to apply for a new one. But it's easier here, all you need is your driving licence (Vic).

Dolly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts