Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone no what the cost of schooling is for. 14 year old and a 10 year old

Are state schools free i was thinking of almeria or torrevieja area

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
36,524 Posts
Hi does anyone no what the cost of schooling is for. 14 year old and a 10 year old

Are state schools free i was thinking of almeria or torrevieja area

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
State schools are free, but in most areas you have to buy text books & other supplies. I used to budget about 1000€ a year per child, to cover school day trips & so on as well

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
We onnly had to buy text books for the infantil period. After that all books are provided free of charge. Of course, we have to pay for writing books, paper, pencils etc, but otherwise much of it is covered by the town hall...

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Basically you probably sound like you need to do a bit more research into this. !0 and 14 are probably to old to really be able to catch up with other pupils. You probably need to consider an International School where English is the predominant language. Your 10 year old might manage in a state school but it will be very hard. !4 is way too old to enter a Spanish state with ( I assume) no Spanish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nowadays most part of school try to be bilingual with Spanish and English, but the quality is still a bit far of being enough good in both languages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
so as i see, the picture is this: the state school are cheaper but the quality of english may be not the best, or you can search for an international private school, but pay for it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
If the children do not speak excellent Spanish, even if they go to a bilingual state school (where some, but not all subjects will be taught in English), I cannot imagine they will leave with many qualifications. Latest figures show youth unemployment in Spain at 38.6%. I would question whether such a move would really benefit them in their future lives.

Would a 14-year old Spaniard, moving to the UK, expect to get a string of good GCSE grades unless fluent in English? 'Bilingual' state education in Spain is still predominantly Spanish, and why not?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts