Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to rent the sort of property we would like, in the south of France. Thinking Languedoc or Provence. So...

For a 3 bedroom house over 180sqm, with garden, a/c and heating, built or renovated to a high standard (no damp, good modern plumbing, modern fitted kitchen etc), within 30 to 40 minutes drive of beaches, 20 minutes of a town, pool or communal pool - can anyone give me a rough idea of cost range for either furnished (to high standard) or unfurnished?

From a different angle - could we get anything really decent for under E1400?

Just thinking at the moment. No actual plans tho that could change rapidly.

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
Did a quick search on a couple of the standard real estate sites for houses for rent with 3 br and at least 180 m3 - with no price restrictions. Found one place in Boisseron renting for 2500€ that seems to tick most of your boxes (depending on your definition of "high standard") and even has its own pool, though no mention of a/c.

Try using the search function on a site like PAP (Particulier à Particulier) or Century 21 or Seloger. Usually, you can search a whole region to see what's available.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I'm trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to rent the sort of property we would like, in the south of France. Thinking Languedoc or Provence. So...

For a 3 bedroom house over 180sqm, with garden, a/c and heating, built or renovated to a high standard (no damp, good modern plumbing, modern fitted kitchen etc), within 30 to 40 minutes drive of beaches, 20 minutes of a town, pool or communal pool - can anyone give me a rough idea of cost range for either furnished (to high standard) or unfurnished?

From a different angle - could we get anything really decent for under E1400?

Just thinking at the moment. No actual plans tho that could change rapidly.
You don't say what kind of lifestyle you're looking for and the area you are considering is pretty large and diverse. I'm assuming you're looking for a permanent unfurnished rental - if you are over 65 you will have extreme difficulty finding a rental as aged renters are protected.

Also availability or such properties for permanent rental could possibly be an issue.

Aside from that, even if you find suitable properties in area/s that you consider desirable, you will still have to get your 'dossier' accepted. Should your income be from the UK that might be difficult given the way exchange rates seem to be heading.

Like Bev, I was going to suggest looking at the various property websites. But I think you also need to make a trip and spend time looking at what is available on the rental market - property ads and photos can be very misleading.

Another thing, consider high winds (can you deal with them), fire/flooding susceptibility?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Under 65, working in IT , working remotely, looking for quiet lifestyle but in reasonably spacious comfort (elbow room!) without having to worry about the building structure or utilities too much!
Its only a thought at the moment, if current plans dont work out. I shall browse the sites Bev mentioned. :)

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
For 1400 euros....you are looking at a 3 bed apartment......just (very just)....in a decent area.....with a communal pool.

For a house.....in that condition.....add another 1000 euros on your budget.

As said, have a look at Seloger.com

Nothing wrong with apartment living !!!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've been put off apartment living by drainpipes running down between the walls so we hear everyones water usage, by thin walls so we hear ALL activity, by yapping dogs and sharing cooking smells. Shame, because Ive seen some gorgeous looking apartments. Plus we want a garden anyway. :) Also I cannot risk stairs if a lift fails.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
A property with a communal pool would be in a copropriété and you would be required to pay certain charges relating to that - some are excluded for tenants but they are generally high. I would suggest you start browsing the websites now to get an idea, otherwise what is the point of asking here now?

Don't forget the tax and other implications of working remotely.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
We've been put off apartment living by drainpipes running down between the walls so we hear everyones water usage, by thin walls so we hear ALL activity, by yapping dogs and sharing cooking smells. Shame, because Ive seen some gorgeous looking apartments. Plus we want a garden anyway. :) Also I cannot risk stairs if a lift fails.

On your budget I think you will not have the problems you describe with an apartment in France. I have never encountered such problems. Never had barking dogs, a lift fail, and certainly not pipes running through the lounge.

Garden ???? Mowing !!!!!.....or a nice terrace with a view and a pool all prepared for you.

I don't reckon you will find a house at that price or if you do, it will be a right dump :nod:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts