Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of bringing my hi-end pc and monitor to Portugal in a few weeks time; with all that that entails :-(

Plan B would be to sell my pc at a major price loss and to buy a high-end laptop.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y580

The above costs around 950 euros in Israel.

How much does it cost in Portugal?

If you can't see the same model then please post something similar and the price.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
554 Posts
Portugal is a bit slow on getting latest models, this shop sells Lenovo and has a lower spec model

Mbit | comprar LENOVO - TP E520 (i5-2430M/4GB/500GB/W7P) ( NZ3B5PG )

Amazon.co.uk has the one you want and delivers free to Portugal

Lenovo Ideapad Y580 15.6-inch Laptop (Dawn Grey) (Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 64GB SSD, Blu-ray, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, nVIDIA Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The price is quite a bit more than Israel so it may be best to buy there and bring with you (check possible customs implications on new goods entering from outside EU before you travel).

I would say go back to plan 1 - bring your existing PC and Monitor with you - if it's second hand there shouldn't be customs difficulties + invest in a UPS when you get here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The question to consider is not only how much it costs in Portugal, but also whether you are using Euros, Shekels, GBP or something else. Until I started earning Euros here, I had to think in terms of USD; a 1.000 Euro laptop would have cost approx $1,300 of my money.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Portugal is a bit slow on getting latest models, this shop sells Lenovo and has a lower spec model

Mbit | comprar LENOVO - TP E520 (i5-2430M/4GB/500GB/W7P) ( NZ3B5PG )

Amazon.co.uk has the one you want and delivers free to Portugal

Lenovo Ideapad Y580 15.6-inch Laptop (Dawn Grey) (Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 64GB SSD, Blu-ray, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, nVIDIA Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The price is quite a bit more than Israel so it may be best to buy there and bring with you (check possible customs implications on new goods entering from outside EU before you travel).

I would say go back to plan 1 - bring your existing PC and Monitor with you - if it's second hand there shouldn't be customs difficulties + invest in a UPS when you get here.
Thanks. I am going to try and sell my pc. Would be arriving in Portugal as a tourist with EU passport and carrying new laptop as hand-luggage. Do you foresee a problem?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The question to consider is not only how much it costs in Portugal, but also whether you are using Euros, Shekels, GBP or something else. Until I started earning Euros here, I had to think in terms of USD; a 1.000 Euro laptop would have cost approx $1,300 of my money.
Will have to try and get my head around that ;-)

I won't be working in Portugal and will be getting same pensions that I'm getting now.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the cat is now amongst the pigeons!

A woman came by on Friday and wants to take over my lease and buy the furniture.

She wants to move in on June 20!

She is supposed to sign and pay tomorrow. Had the jitters since Friday!

Air fares are quite a bit cheaper after July 2nd than in June and I can't imagine why.

I can hang out with friends for a while in Tel Aviv.

Michael

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If you want a price comparison site for Portugal try this one KuantoKusta – Comparador de preços e guia de compras online but bear in mind it is getting increasingly difficult to buy laptops especially with English keyboards, as Mr Bife says Amazon will deliver to Portugal free if order +£25 and fulfilled by Amazon, but there are also other UK computer companies that will supply for reasonable carraige

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want a price comparison site for Portugal try this one KuantoKusta – Comparador de preços e guia de compras online but bear in mind it is getting increasingly difficult to buy laptops especially with English keyboards, as Mr Bife says Amazon will deliver to Portugal free if order +£25 and fulfilled by Amazon, but there are also other UK computer companies that will supply for reasonable carraige
Thanks for that.

Michael

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
try this site as they post the various prices from many shops: Kuantokusta o seu guia de compras
Thanks. Discovered that hi-tech is cheaper here so I bought a laptop and a friend will ship my PC once I have an address.

I'm bearing in mind that I can only make 3 shipments because they're being sent from outside the EU.

My apartment has been rerented and I'm surrounded by things that I'm either going to give away, try to sell or will ship or take with me.

Will arrive in Lisbon within a couple of weeks and stay at a B&B

Michael

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I'm bearing in mind that I can only make 3 shipments because they're being sent from outside the EU.

l
Why do you think it's 3 shipments, it's about value, generally if under 4000€ they reguire 1 form that allows them to be released IVA free immediately, but it's 1 shipment that might comprise more than 1 box, unless you've information to the contrary, over 4000€ value requires different form

Easier to get it right before you leave than have any nasty surprises with Customs here:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do you think it's 3 shipments, it's about value, generally if under 4000€ they reguire 1 form that allows them to be released IVA free immediately, but it's 1 shipment that might comprise more than 1 box, unless you've information to the contrary, over 4000€ value requires different form

Easier to get it right before you leave than have any nasty surprises with Customs here:)
Thanks.

I will check it out: I was going on info posted on this forum.

Didn't make much sense to me and I even asked, "What happens if I'm a tourist and somebody sends me a package?".

As it happens it wasn't really harmful because it caused me to think about what I really needed to send!

Just booked my ticket -

Departure: Tuesday 06 of August 2013, 01:20 hs. from Tel Aviv Yafo, Ben Gurion International, Israel (TLV)

Arrival: Tuesday 06 of August 2013, 04:55 hs. to Cologne, Koeln/bonn, Germany (CGN)
Status of the flight: Confirmed

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Really thought it had been made obvious to you it's 1 shipment, as your 1st flying into Germany then you also need to make clear when you check the "free" of import duty & IVA for personal affects that your destination is Portugal and not Germany

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really thought it had been made obvious to you it's 1 shipment, as your 1st flying into Germany then you also need to make clear when you check the "free" of import duty & IVA for personal affects that your destination is Portugal and not Germany
I'm only arriving with one suitcase and a laptop (with receipt).

I have (all will have) prepared three boxes labeled 1-3, 2-3, 3-3, with customs details that a friend will forward to me once I have an address and have registered as a resident.

Thanks for taking care of me ;-)

Michael

P.S. They certainly make IVA complicated.

VAT rates

IVA geral (general): Charged on prepared food, non-essential products and services. Also on solar/alternative energy equipment, agriculture machines, electricity and natural gas, fire prevention and fire fighting equipment, lawyers, solicitors and legal representatives at a rate of 23 percent; in Madeira the rate is 22 percent, in Azores 16 percent.
IVA intermedio (intermediate): Charged on bottled spring and mineral water. Theatre, cinema and tickets for entertainment. Fuel and oils used for heating, fishing, agricultural machines. Household services by a third party (electricians, plumbers, housekeepers, etc. ) at a rate of 13 percent; in Madeira the intermediate VAT rate is 12 percent, in Azores 9 percent. For a list of items subject to intermediate VAT: Click here (in Portuguese)
IVA reduzido (reduced): Charged on non-processed food (fresh meats, fresh fish, bird eggs, etc.) and non-processed packaged foods, lodgings and at 6 percent; in Madeira at 5 percent and Azores at 4 percent.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
IVA no different to any other EU country all have different rates

HIDE the receipt for laptop you're supposed to have owned it for a year

As these are personal effects you are having forwarded at a later date when you have an address I think you might have missed the point that you must prior to your move have completed necessary clearance/forms with the Portuguese Consulate in Israel so they are free of import duty or IVA it's this paperwork Certificado de Bagagem that will allow them in "free" not a standard customs declaration supplied by shipper and completed by you.

If you don't do this then they will be subject to whatever duty or IVA Customs decide on so you need to check with the Consulate what you need to do
get a
Certificado de Bagagem
or
possibly due to value/contents then just the Customs form might be sufficient

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

As these are personal effects you are having forwarded at a later date when you have an address I think you might have missed the point that you must prior to your move have completed necessary clearance/forms with the Portuguese Consulate in Israel so they are free of import duty or IVA it's this paperwork Certificado de Bagagem that will allow them in "free" not a standard customs declaration supplied by shipper and completed by you.

If you don't do this then they will be subject to whatever duty or IVA Customs decide on so you need to check with the Consulate what you need to do
get a
Certificado de Bagagem
or
Thanks for those pointers!

I will be in Tel Aviv for a few days next week so I will go into the Consulate.

Pretty amazing to me that they might try to charge me tax on used clothes and an electric razor etc. I will take them info on my pc that I bought 2 years ago, plus two monitors.

Sorry if I see dim on this stuff but it's 12 years since I made any kind of serious move and the EU bureaucracy is pretty amazing to me, and especially so since I'm British.

Michael

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
It's unfortunately because your moving from a Non EU country to EU, the same issues would arise with any EU country you moved too, but your British Nationality does sweep aside a whole lot of other issues:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

get a
Certificado de Bagagem
or
What do you say that I prepare three lists and take them to the consulate next week along with my UK passport.

Box 1 computer - computador with docs to show that I've owned it for two years. Valor 170 euros

Box 2 monitors de imagem Valor 125 euros

Box 3 roupas, aparador de pêlos; pequenos aparelhos de cozinha, fones de ouvido; esteira do exercício; escala de banheiro Valor 60 euros

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Why not contact them before you go and ask exactly what they want for this certificate? then it's not a wasted trip or maybe requires a second trip

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just to say that I compared the prices of computers from the links provided by Canoeman and there is little difference between Portugal and UK prices, both for computers and software, in fact Portugal is slightly cheaper.

However what you may need to consider is keyboard configuration and programme languages if they are different.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts