Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
We have just purchased this summer a new home in Manilva near Malaga. The local council have put a value of 156k on the property. Roughly what should I be expecting to pay as a non-resident or how should I calculate it for the year.

Regards Fergal

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Looks like 19% of 1.1% of €156k, according to a well-known property website.

Tax base: 2% of the cadastral value of the property (found on the IBI receipt), or 1.1% if the cadastral value has been revised since 1st January 1994. Tax rate 2016: Residents of EU, Iceland and Norway 19%, all others 24%.

·
Registered
173 Posts
"Hello all,
We have just purchased this summer a new home in Manilva near Malaga. The local council have put a value of 156k on the property. Roughly what should I be expecting to pay as a non-resident or how should I calculate it for the year.

Regards Fergal"

"Tax base: 2% of the cadastral value of the property (found on the IBI receipt), or 1.1% if the cadastral value has been revised since 1st January 1994. Tax rate 2016: Residents of EU, Iceland and Norway 19%, all others 24%."

You really need to find the cadastral value from your IBI bill.... If you're correct and it's €156,000 then:
it's either €593 per year at 2%
Or €326 per year at 1.1%

This sounds a bit high....e.g our apartment bought for €80K has a cadastral value of around €22,000 with a non resident tax of around €83 (not revalued so 2%)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Hello all,

Regards Fergal"

"Tax base: 2% of the cadastral value of the property (found on the IBI receipt), or 1.1% if the cadastral value has been revised since 1st January 1994. Tax rate 2016: Residents of EU, Iceland and Norway 19%, all others 24%."

You really need to find the cadastral value from your IBI bill.... If you're correct and it's €156,000 then:
it's either €593 per year at 2%
Or €326 per year at 1.1%

This sounds a bit high....e.g our apartment bought for €80K has a cadastral value of around €22,000 with a non resident tax of around €83 (not revalued so 2%)

This might be where I'm going wrong, We were given a bill for complementary tax, We paid 117k and the council or government valued it at 156k and we paid tax on the difference and that's why I used the 156k valuation.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
This might be where I'm going wrong, We were given a bill for complementary tax, We paid 117k and the council or government valued it at 156k and we paid tax on the difference and that's why I used the 156k valuation.
156k is NOT the Catastral value then, it is Hacienda's estimate of its market value. Totally different.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Normally a copy of the last year's IBI (council tax or whatever the equivalent is called now in the UK) is included in the Escrituras.

The catastral value will be on that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Normally a copy of the last year's IBI (council tax or whatever the equivalent is called now in the UK) is included in the Escrituras.

The catastral value will be on that.
I've come across a bill with IBI on it and we paid €669.13. So I guessing this is it. :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I've come across a bill with IBI on it and we paid €669.13. So I guessing this is it. :fingerscrossed:
The €669.13 would be the amount of IBI paid (equivalent to Council Tax), not the catastral value. That will be shown as valor catastral, and there will be one amount for suelo (the plot on which the property is built) and another for superficie (the actual building itself) and a total of the two amounts - the total figure is what you need to work out your non-resident tax figure from.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The €669.13 would be the amount of IBI paid (equivalent to Council Tax), not the catastral value. That will be shown as valor catastral, and there will be one amount for suelo (the plot on which the property is built) and another for superficie (the actual building itself) and a total of the two amounts - the total figure is what you need to work out your non-resident tax figure from.
Thank you so much, You have been so helpful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts