Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally ignorant!

OK, got that up front.

I've never used or owned a mobile before, but apparently have to have one once in France. Personally, I hate the damn things, but...

How much do they cost (I'll pass on Apple iPhone X, or in fact Apple anything) to buy for nothing at all fancy? Is there a monthly service fee of some kind also?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Try google "portable moins cher". There are some good deals on the internet for basic (unsmart) phones and minimum usage tarifs. I pay 7€ per month. Anything above the small free calls are charged.

DejW

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Just go with a Free '2 euros' a month contract. You have to buy a phone (from amazon or wherever) or you buy one secondhand. 100 euros will get you a reasonable phone.

Free mobile*: forfaits mobiles 4G+ sans engagement
I actually have to agree with Smeg here :eek: :p :)

I have that deal from Free although mine really is free because my ISP is Free and if you are a customer it costs nothing.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Do give a bit of thought to what you want to do with a mobile phone. The 2€ a month deals from Free (and possibly also the other "cheap rate" phone providers - BandYou, Red, Sosh, etc.) may be all you need if you actually just want to use the phone for making and receiving the odd phone call. If you want to do all the fancy Internet stuff on your phone (and that can come in handy - but in my experience it takes a while before you decide you have a "need" for that sort of thing) then you may want to look at one of the more upscale offerings. But I'd still start out with the cheap rate providers.

It's relatively easy to change providers and just transfer your phone number to the new provider, so you can wait until you actually have a need for the more exotic services before you get a more tailor-made provider. (Frankly, I've been perfectly happy with the basic Free service for several years now. But your mileage may vary.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the hints, everyone.

I just want it as a phone, and would be good to use it instead of current iPod touch for music, too. Not interested in internet or most other fancy functions.

I don't envisage using it (as a phone) much. I'm not a phone chatter....

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have (and highly recommend) the phones from Moto (once Motorola, now Lenovo) at www.moto.com (US) or www.moto.fr (France). I have the Z2 Play and it cost me circa $500 but they have a pretty good range going down to around $200. Well made phones running a non-bloated version of Android.

As for pay-as-you-go plans in France I can tell you that I was paying AT&T $40/month for unlimited talk & text in the US with 5Gb of data. I am currently pay FREE (the French telecom company) all of €20/month for unlimited talk & text in France, roaming in Europe, 100Gb of data and free international calls to around 100 countries including the US.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think I must have read your post incorrectly. In 2017 are you asking why someone needs a mobile phone?
Why not? I've never had nor wanted one in my life up to now.

They are not essential for life. We had lives before them...

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Why not? I've never had nor wanted one in my life up to now.

They are not essential for life. We had lives before them...
They are becoming essential with the demise of public telephones and emergency roadside telephones.

As of this year there will no longer be emergency roadside phones in Belgium or the Netherlands and I've noticed in France that many (at least here in Brittany) are not in use anymore.

Reactions: Colburn

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
When I was working in the Uk a mobile/portable/cell phone was indispensible. You can be forgiven for thinking they are not essential today..........but they are pretty well essential today....well for me.

Here's how I use mine

1. Most important...locating wife in big supermarket or street market. "where are you?"....."I'm at the tinned peas".

2. When I've bought something on the internet the delivery company phones....especially if I'm out. My wife is in training for gold in the internet buying olympics.....need I say more?

3. My French bank and UK stock broker use texts/sms for security checking..."if it's really you enter this code within 5 mins etc". Not sure how to manage this without a portable.

4. I've got a wonderful android app "mytrails"....which presents a map and a red dot shows where I am. It can trace my path and tell me distance, speed, max/min altitude. Useful in the forests of Normandie, essential in the mountains. Yes, I can read a paper map, but a paper map doesn't tell me where I am. The app is very cheap, but good maps (French IGN) area bit expensive...but I've got security with them.

5. If I've forgotten to take a good book I've got some good games while in doctors' waiting rooms.

portably telephonically...DejW

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
When I was working in the Uk a mobile/portable/cell phone was indispensible. You can be forgiven for thinking they are not essential today..........but they are pretty well essential today....well for me.

Here's how I use mine

1. Most important...locating wife in big supermarket or street market. "where are you?"....."I'm at the tinned peas".

2. When I've bought something on the internet the delivery company phones....especially if I'm out. My wife is in training for gold in the internet buying olympics.....need I say more?

3. My French bank and UK stock broker use texts/sms for security checking..."if it's really you enter this code within 5 mins etc". Not sure how to manage this without a portable.

4. I've got a wonderful android app "mytrails"....which presents a map and a red dot shows where I am. It can trace my path and tell me distance, speed, max/min altitude. Useful in the forests of Normandie, essential in the mountains. Yes, I can read a paper map, but a paper map doesn't tell me where I am. The app is very cheap, but good maps (French IGN) area bit expensive...but I've got security with them.

5. If I've forgotten to take a good book I've got some good games while in doctors' waiting rooms.

portably telephonically...DejW
Bank with the French part of an international bank and I cannot pay for anything online unless I put in the code sent by text/SMS.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts