Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An often asked question I am sure but what is the cost of living like in Southern Andalusia

3 bedroom villa/house will be purchased mortgage free, car will be bought outright

Approx £20,000 per annum British pension

Would like to know if that is feasible

P.S I understand all bets are off post brexit regarding healthcare and taxation but I am sure someone has worked out a possible scenario

Ta

·
Registered
144 Posts
How old will you be. If not receiving pension you will need private medical insurance.
TBH we spend about 12 weeks a year in the east of malaga and find it quite cheap to live. What costs are you worried about. Please list.

·
Registered
27 Posts
An often asked question I am sure but what is the cost of living like in Southern Andalusia

3 bedroom villa/house will be purchased mortgage free, car will be bought outright

P.S I understand all bets are off post brexit regarding healthcare and taxation but I am sure someone has worked out a possible scenario

Ta
Please rent first before you buy, this way, you get to open your eyes and see more about the island, where to buy, what not to buy, whether the move is really for you etc. Things like that. Goodluck.. ☺

·
Registered
15,745 Posts

Ta
Exchange rate is a major factor to consider. At the moment that will give you just under €2,000 a month, which will give you a comfortable but not lavish lifestyle. But who knows where it will end up after Brexit.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Exchange rate is a major factor to consider. At the moment that will give you just under €2,000 a month, which will give you a comfortable but not lavish lifestyle. But who knows where it will end up after Brexit.
I feel anyone who is contemplating the move at the moment should be working on the basis that the pound will be around parity with the euro when calculating their budget. The rate has dropped below €1.10 today.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ers-as-pound-set-to-fall-further-against-euro

And before anybody says well, we've been there before, yes it did go down to vear near parity at the start of 2009 - but it was only at that level for around 2 weeks before it started to climb again. I think it is likely to be a much longer process before we see any improvement this time, sadly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I feel anyone who is contemplating the move at the moment should be working on the basis that the pound will be around parity with the euro when calculating their budget. The rate has dropped below €1.10 today.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ers-as-pound-set-to-fall-further-against-euro

And before anybody says well, we've been there before, yes it did go down to vear near parity at the start of 2009 - but it was only at that level for around 2 weeks before it started to climb again. I think it is likely to be a much longer process before we see any improvement this time, sadly.
The pound will drop even more and will probably level out with the Euro.
But the majority voted to be worse off and we must respect that vote.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Just got back from Tesco, most of their superstores now have a bureau de change and I noticed today's rate was €1.0818 to the pound. We're off to Cyprus the week after next and I'm happy I have a stash of euro's left over from other trips.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,111 Posts
When we came 2014 we got roughly €1.20, but we based cost of living here like for like. That way we can withstand a below parity rate. It's best to go with the lower end of exchange rates

Re cost of living. It's simple something's are cheaper somethings are more expensive, it's possible to live like a king and it's very easy to live like a pauper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts