Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am planning to move to Sydney on a 457 visa and would like to have a good sense of the monthly cost of living. The following was drawn up based on what I have gathered thus far:

Rental: 2,000 - Plan to stay in Surry Hills/Paddington suburb
Utility Bills: 120 - Not sure if this portion will be covered in my rental
Mobile plan: 40
Internet: 50
Transport fares: 50 - Just because my office will be located in the CBD
Gym subscription: 80
Meals: 1,120 - 40/day
Entertainment: 400

Total: 3,860 for 1 person

Not sure if I am missing anything out, is this planned budget realistic or too extravagant?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: a.Afridi

·
Registered
460 Posts
Transport will be more than that. Absolute min of $25 a week more like $40-45 a week.
You also have missed groceries. I appreciate you have allocated money for meals buy you wI'll also need toiletries, cleaning products etc....$20-50 a week depending on the quality of the products.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Transport will be more than that. Absolute min of $25 a week more like $40-45 a week.
You also have missed groceries. I appreciate you have allocated money for meals buy you wI'll also need toiletries, cleaning products etc....$20-50 a week depending on the quality of the products.
I assume the $40/day in the budget includes groceries. I think $20-50/week on toiletries and cleaning products is a bit outrageous though. Unless you are someone who buys a lot of makeup or other such expensive items, the average person is not spending $50/week on these types of things. I'd say that even for a household that seems quite high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for pointing that out, totally missed the consideration on the toiletries. I am setting aside 100AUD a month.

The revised budget: 4240/month

Rental: 2,000
Utilities: 120
Mobile Plan: 40
Internet Plan: 50
Transport: 500
Gym Subscription: 80
Meals: 1,120
Toiletries: 100

Can one save money by cooking at home? Or would the price of ingredients and gas actually exceed what I would pay at an inexpensive cafe (AUD 15)?

Reactions: a.Afridi

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the budget you have is more of a "splurge" option than a "stretch" one. Personally, 2000 rent for a room is high. My friend just moved in to a place around surry hills last month, 2 bed rooms house $620/ week
And 400 for entertainment
But again, if you can afford these, why not

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about the rent too. 2000 seems high for a single person unless you want to rent an entire apartment for yourself and close to the CBD.

How about medical cover? Pardon my lack of knowledge about 457- but does the employer take care of this or you have to do it yourself?

And yes, cooking at home is way too cheaper than eating out.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Rental: 2,000 - 2500 for Family, 1250 for a single room
Utilities: 120 if just elec. if there is gas add another 120
Mobile Plan: 40 (Prepaid) 70 with a plan
Internet Plan: 80
Transport: 250

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Rental: 2,000 - 2500 for Family, 1250 for a single room
Utilities: 120 if just elec. if there is gas add another 120
Mobile Plan: 40 (Prepaid) 70 with a plan
Internet Plan: 80
Transport: 250
Is that 120+120 a monthly figure for utilities or quarterly? For a single person or for a family of 3?

·
Registered
103 Posts
What I know is that u need to pay for wifi and utilities bills if you are getting the aprtment yourself. But if you just rent a room around CBD sharing the flat with others, your rent is already inclusive of these bills. You can find rooms in many real estate websites. It ranges from 250 to 450/ week per person.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about the rent too. 2000 seems high for a single person unless you want to rent an entire apartment for yourself and close to the CBD.

How about medical cover? Pardon my lack of knowledge about 457- but does the employer take care of this or you have to do it yourself?

And yes, cooking at home is way too cheaper than eating out.
I was thinking of renting a studio/1 bedroom security apartment and close to the CBD.

The reason why I didn't put in medical cover because it would be deducted from my salary - I am using PayCalculator

·
Registered
837 Posts
$2000 per month rent for a singe person is very expensive and not worth it.

Try checking in other websites, you may get within $1000-1200 for a rent

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$2000 per month rent for a singe person is very expensive and not worth it.

Try checking in other websites, you may get within $1000-1200 for a rent
A $1000-$1200 monthly rent would equate to approximately $300/week and given that I prefer to stay in the CBD, it would be pretty challenging unless I am sharing the apartment with others.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you pay $300 a week in CBD/ surry hills, most of the apartments (depends on what you want) you will get will include bills, internet, gas, taxes et al. An ensuite would cost you around 350-450 in a very posh location.
Secondly, I think $1000 is a lot for food, I normally eat out everyday, but I dont spend more than $600 on food and drinks.

Transport fares: If you get an Opal card, you wont be spending more than $18 a week if you want to travel just in CBD, if you take a cab, it will be way beyond $50.

I think $800 for food and entertainment is very generous amount. But still it depends on you. I usually go to clubs and bars almost 3-4 times a week, and mostly eat food outside, but still dont end up spending more than $200 a week on food+drinks. There are many cheap options available as well in terms of food.

I think you can easily survive with a good life style if you spend like $2000-2500 a month. Moreover when you buy groceries from supermarket, the food will be almost 3-4 times cheaper on an average. Eg-> pasta in restaurant would cost you around $15-20, when you cook at home, it shouldn't be more than $5 (same amount), and also considering the fact that you are buying in bulk.

Again everything depends on personal preferences. When I was new to sydney as a student, I survived the first few months in less than 900/ month.
A $1000-$1200 monthly rent would equate to approximately $300/week and given that I prefer to stay in the CBD, it would be pretty challenging unless I am sharing the apartment with others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts