Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Al,

As per a previous post, we are considering a move to San Jose area with my husbands work. We've had a proposal from the company and now need to see what it will cost us in terms of cost of living etc. Can anyone give us some guidance or point us in the right direction on the following please ?

1) Utilities - are they comparable to UK ?
2) Hire car vs. purchase
3) Medical insurance
4) Unforeseen school extras

We've been on holiday to CA before so have any idea of cost of food. Is there anything else we should be thinking of at all ?

Also, can anyone recommend a good priced removals company ?

Is it possible for an expat partner to work ? I have heard about a temporary card......

I think that's it ! So excited !

Thank you very much !

Deborah

·
Administrator
51,574 Posts
It has been quite a while since I lived in that area, but I can maybe help on a couple of issues you have:

Hire car vs. purchase: You WILL need a car, more likely two, if you are living and working in the San Jose area. Leasing agreements are pretty easy to get, at least for new cars. And a used car in the US is generally quite a bit cheaper than what you could get anywhere in Europe these days. Then again, gas/petrol prices are about half what they are in the UK or Europe, so operating costs are quite a bit lower. Insurance can be a hassle, but after an initial 6 to 12 months on just about any car insurance, you can join AAA, which offers very good insurance rates.

Medical insurance - generally part of the employment package, however you need to figure in the "co-pays" (how much you pay yourself for various doctor appointments and treatments).

Is it possible for an expat partner to work ? I have heard about a temporary card...... - it depends to a certain degree on what sort of visa your husband will be on. Again, something to ask about during negotiations.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Utilities
Small town Texas water/gas/power/trash/pest control 4br/den 2 people runs around 1.000/mo. Some utility companies give out averages by room or square footage and zip code.

Unforeseen School Expenses
Well, they are unforeseen from torn sports uniforms to field trips, birthday parties ... You name it.

Employment Authorization Card
If your spouse is on L1 visa you can apply for EAD which takes around 90 days. H1B spouses are not able to work. See uscis.gov for details.

Medical Insurance
Your husband can request the employee handbook or at least that section up front. Read it, read it and ask questions. There are too many variables to even make a guess. Double check when coverage will start. Generally there is a 30 day onboarding period with no coverage. But again it depends on the employer's plan.

Hire car versus purchase
If you are talking about taxi, ueber and transfer services Google brings up local rates.
If you are talking about leasing versus purchase - it depends on your needs and budget. Travo can easily bring the allotted mileage of leased vehicles into the red. Read those contracts! Insurance will be a factor. You will start with zero driving history. Do not let the cost of coverage be the determining factor. Compare actual coverage especially liability and medical payments. I carry non-insured motorist on all vehicles due to personal experiences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Al,

As per a previous post, we are considering a move to San Jose area with my husbands work. We've had a proposal from the company and now need to see what it will cost us in terms of cost of living etc. Can anyone give us some guidance or point us in the right direction on the following please ?

1) Utilities - are they comparable to UK ?
2) Hire car vs. purchase
3) Medical insurance
4) Unforeseen school extras

We've been on holiday to CA before so have any idea of cost of food. Is there anything else we should be thinking of at all ?

Also, can anyone recommend a good priced removals company ?

Is it possible for an expat partner to work ? I have heard about a temporary card......

I think that's it ! So excited !

Thank you very much !

Deborah
does your husband play rugby?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the valuable information you have given me. It will help in this minefield we are about to uncover ! Wish us luck ! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts