Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1461 - 1463 of 1463 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was lucky enough to get a single room @ 80 AUD per week, It was in Coffs Harbour back in 2009. Room size is about 12 ft by 14 ft but with shared bathroom and common kitchen. I wonder if such rate can be available in any suburb of Sydney, like Lakemba or Bankstown.
Congrats man...

I am also planning my visit around March 2017, either in Sydney or Melbourne. Not finalized yet.

Can you please provide some guidance regarding home search.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, that's very true for private schooling. In fact, 2k might not be enough and prepare to pay more in secondary school. Unless you send your kids to public school which is free where school fee payment is optional as it's fully funded by the govt.
School syllabus is a lot lower than Singapore. I would say 2 to 3 years behind for primary school. Hence, I am sure you kids would love it as it's a lot less homework, stressful and competitive. However, it may get tougher in secondary school to align with Uni entrance standard at a later stage.
Hi donkuok,
I am from Singapore and moving to Perth next year and wondering how the school admission is like ? Was told that as long as we live within a school's "catchment zone" our kids will be offered a placement in that school? What if the number of applicants is more that what the school can offered? Is balloting required then?
Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Unless you send your kids to public school which is free where school fee payment is optional as it's fully funded by the govt.
Not true.

My child attends a secondary public school. There is a component of compulsory fees. Below is an extract from the school council notice I received wrt 2017 fees:

Essential Student Learning Items:
1. Basic Charge includes the cost of items and services that the school deems essential to student learning such as school provided text books, additional stationery, high quality Library resources, additional materials for the learning and teaching program, communication systems, student ID Cards etc. $610
2. Integrated Learning Levy:
(Including incursions and excursions) $110
3. Sport Carnival Levy:
(including transport for compulsory Athletics and Swimming Carnivals) $39
Notebook (each child is given their own laptop) payment: $ 400

I paid $900 in non-voluntary fees plus $400 for the notebook program. You can buy some text books (Maths, Science and English text books) second-hand provided the school doesn't insist on only using a new edition. You pay less than half price.

Uniforms (winter and summer) and shoes can be quite expensive (school uniform shops helps schools raise funds). For e.g. a new summer tunic set me back $100. Woollen coat was around $200 or so from memory.

1461 - 1463 of 1463 Posts