Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I am looking for info on cost of living, especially in Sydney. Please guide me.

Also, what are the options for schools for 8 year old? Is it good to consider public schools or one has to go for private schools? In Bengaluru my son is attending DPS.

Thanks for your help.
Karthik

·
Registered
7 Posts
In Sydney, your biggest expense will be housing (renting your buying). Property is very expensive.
You can allow for between AUD500 and AUD700 per week in rent. Price is lower when you go far out from the city centre and into the suburbia.

If you are a resident or citizen you can send you kid to school for free (almost free). For private school you need to allow around AUD1000 per month. <Snip>

Check this website, it is pretty good, it allows you to compare cost of living around the world (google: Numbero cost of living): numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Melbourne and Brisbane have more affordable housing, but the cities are not as nice as Sydney.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Private school fees vary greatly. Catholic systematic schools and some Chrstian schools are cheaper and independent schools cost up to $30,000pa per child. The top schools can be almost impossible to get into with children for some of them being put on a waiting list even before birth.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would mean no choice but go for public schools. Heard the public schools are not bad anyway so will look for the same.

Thanks for sharing Marissa

Regards
Karthik

·
Registered
28 Posts
In Sydney, your biggest expense will be housing (renting your buying). Property is very expensive.
You can allow for between AUD500 and AUD700 per week in rent. Price is lower when you go far out from the city centre and into the suburbia.

If you are a resident or citizen you can send you kid to school for free (almost free). For private school you need to allow around AUD1000 per month. <Snip>

Check this website, it is pretty good, it allows you to compare cost of living around the world (google: Numbero cost of living): numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Melbourne and Brisbane have more affordable housing, but the cities are not as nice as Sydney.
Hi All,

Please help advice the following concerns. Thanks a lot for your help.
1) if we can get PR, it means that our children can go to public school for free (almost free) right?
2) However it is easy to find a seat for baby in public school? whether we have to book in advance, etc?
3) Could you please figure out what is the total cost of living for a family with 3 people 2 adult and 1 3-years-old baby? I heard that public transport in Australia is quite expensive when comparing with Singapore where maximum is only 2+ SGD for 1 very long single journey (it means each day will cost about 3.5~4 SGD for traveling to work).
4) If under PR, if we have to go public hospital? we have pay 100% or just small percentage?
5) What is the cost if we have to go to clinic? we have to fully pay by ourselves or just some %?

I am looking forward to hearing you.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
240 Posts
1,2. School is only free for children from the age of about 5. The school starting age varies slightly from state to state. For under fives you have to use childcare which is mostly privately run. It can be very expensive, up to $150 a day. There are daycare centres, family day care providers and nannies. There are some government subsidies but they have limits according to income. I think you can get the subsidy with PR. a private nanny can cost up to $35 an HOUR through an agency and there are no subsidies.
My niece, to give you an example, will be paying $35,000 out of pocket next year for the daycare of a fiour year old for five days a week and a one year old for three days. this is in inner Sydney.
Fares are much more expensive than Singapore. I would think the only advantage of living here compared to Singapore is the amount of space. Singapore is a very wealthy, developed country these days.
I can't help you with medical costs, hopefully someone else can.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For PR holders, you will get a medicare card (health card) for your family and its free for local doctors and hospitals (mostly covered) unless you are having any cosmetic surgeries etc.
Else get a health insurance but minimum cost would be around $100/family/month

Reactions: minhnaht

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi MarissaAnna & Furgan and all,

Thanks a lot for your information. I am quite clear now.
(1) Regarding school for children:
- Only free for 5 years old and above (almost cover)
- Otherwise we have to send our baby to childcare which is really expensive. It can reach $1500 to $2000 per month. It is really high :(

(2) Healthcare:
For both PR and dependents (wife & baby) is almost free for local doctors and hospitals (mostly covered) => It is a great news.

(Actually because of education and healthcare, they are 2 main reasons why we are looking for to move from Singapore to Au. Hope we can do it)

(3) Cost of living:
Could you please give me some idea what is cost for 3 people: myself, my wife and our baby just 2-months-old now (hope we can get PR after 2 or 3 more year)?

(4) Btw what are the conditions for expat to covert from PR to citizen?

Please correct if I misunderstood some points as well. Have a nice weekend. Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Regarding medicare, you are covered fully in public hospitals but you must pay out of pocket or have private health cover to use private hospitals. Doctor visits are not free unless they are bulk billed. Usually you have a co-pay (called a gap payment), around $30-40 per visit depending.

Cost of living - depends on the city, depends on your lifestyle needs (how big of an apartment/house, how close to CBD etc.) There are many many many many many threads on this topic on the forum, do a search.

Citizenship - four years as a resident, at least one year as a PR. No total absences from Australia of more than 1 year, no absences of more than 90 days in the last year before you apply.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts