Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can any member give me a "ball park" figure for what they would / have paid to have a window installed in an old stone house.

I am thinking of installing a small window 2ft x 2ft in a room I want as a bathroom....
Just need to know what to expect in costs

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
When you say installing, do you mean replacing an existing window, or making the opening as well?

I recently paid just over 1000€ for replacing four windows bigger than that - so probably not a lot, if you mean replacing. But if you mean making a hole in the wall as well, that's a different matter.

You would need permission from the mairie to create a new window, presumably you're aware of that. (If you're in France, that is - according to your profile you're in Greece.)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, must change the profile (live in Greece part time!)
Yes its a whole new installation needed, wall cut out etc...

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I think the best thing you can do is get some quotes as it depends on such things as thickness of walls etc.

·
Registered
737 Posts
errrrr light as well :)
theres a rumour that they have electricity in france lol

combined light /extractor switch , extractor runs on when you put the light out , stops the condensation ; after a lifetime of bathrooms with windows I installed this system in both the bathrooms in my french house , warmer and drier

·
Administrator
50,801 Posts
Maybe it's a personal preference, but I much prefer a bathroom with an actual window, even a small one, to the extractor fan thing. It may also depend on what you mean by a "bathroom" - in many places in France, the bathroom is the room with a sink and bathtub/shower, whereas the toilet (the tiny little room with just the toilet) is a tiny, dark closet (generally without a window of any sort).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I think it's a personal thing and about what you're used to. In Australia I was more used to both a window (for natural daylight as well as fresh air during appropriate weather) and an extractor fan to reduce humidity and mould in the bathroom. But then, I lived in Queensland. That said, both would still be my preference, otherwise a window rather than an extractor fan.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Your best bet is to get somebody local to look into it.
Seriously your first port of call should be the Marie explain what you want to do and get permission before committing yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts