Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I live in the U.S., but we will most likely be in Nice, France when our baby is due (we're arriving a month earlier and staying at least several weeks afterward). Does anyone know what the average cost is for a vag. delivery with an epidural? Also, we'd be curious to know of opinions and costs regarding public verses private facilities.

Finally, if you have any advice regarding our situation, please let us know.

Thank you very much in advance,

John

·
Administrator
50,805 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, why are you coming to France apparently just for the birth? The issue you're going to run into is that of health insurance. You obviously won't be covered for the French national system, so the ultimate cost to you of the birth is going to depend on what sort of insurance coverage you have and if it will cover you when outside the country.

The problem you're likely to run into is that the French system of reimbursement is an integrated system - and for a pregnancy, it assumes (actually, to some extent, requires) that you have received certain care throughout the pregnancy. You can't really just waltz into a obstetrician's office a few weeks before your due date and arrange to have the baby in the local hospital. There are also requirements for check-ups in the weeks and months after the baby is born.

OK, if you show up in labor they're going to take care of you (and normally pretty well, too), but it's difficult to say how much you'll be charged, as normally the hospitals are reimbursed directly by the State at special rates negotiated between them.

And just in case you're wondering, it's no longer the case in France that babies born in France take French nationality. With two American parents who are completely capable of transmitting their US nationality, the child would not have French nationality unless he or she lives in France for a certain minimum period of time before his or her 18th birthday.

There's also the issue of whether or not the airlines will let you fly a month or so before your due date.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply!

In an effort to keep my original post short, I left out a some details. There are two main reasons why we're considering having the baby in Nice. First, we are considering living in Nice for a couple years and we see our wife's maternity leave as our only real chance (limited as it may be by the baby) to get an idea of what life might be like there. Second, my wife's mother lives in Russia and it would be much easier for her to visit us there than in the U.S.

Regarding insurance, any medical care we receive in France is considered "in network" by our health insurance company (we would receive 80% reimbursement for our healthcare costs while in France), so we're trying to get an idea of what the starting cost would be from which we can determine our post-insurance cost.

Regarding nationality, that is not a priority for us. Regarding flying, we've been informed that we can fly as late as 36 weeks.

Your point about arriving late in the pregnancy is a good one and I understand the reasoning behind it. Since my wife isn't due until mid July, I wonder if we could coordinate with a doctor early on to ensure we have (or have done) everything they require when we arrive.

By the way, for what it's worth, we are both relatively fluent in French and we have close French friends in Nice, who have offered their help.

Thanks again for your help!

John

·
Administrator
50,805 Posts
OK, that all kind of makes sense. Though I've never been through the process myself, either here in France or back there in the US, I would strongly suggest that you start making contact with an obstetrician in Nice now. That way your current OB could provide information to the OB in France as needed, and the arrangements could start being made asap.

Having the baby in July will run into issues with the doctors' vacation schedules, so it's better to get this sort of thing sorted out early on.

Overall, the cost of the birth will be much less than what it costs in the US, even at a private hospital. (I strongly suspect it's why I've heard so many Americans say that their US health insurance considers all European medical facilities "on-plan.")

If you've got friends in Nice, ask them to contact the OBs in the area and see if they'd be open to "consulting" across the pond like this.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Bev, for the additional informational helpful information. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going through the same situation :)

Hi John,

I am 17 weeks pregnant and am also planning on going to Nice to have our baby. I have American nationality and my husband is of French nationality and the reason that we want to deliver there is because my husband wants to ensure that the baby will have French citizenship.

I just wanted to ask that if you could share any information you find out about the following it would be very helpful:

1. Hospitals and doctors in Nice (preferably English speaking as my French is very basic)
2. Cost of having the baby in Nice with and without health insurance
3. How does registering the baby's birth work? Do we have to have any previous paperwork for this? I know that for us to get married, I need an apostilled version of my birth certificate which is suprisingly complicated and time consuming to get...

How far along is your wife? Is it your first child? It would be great to keep in touch with someone who's going through the same situation as us at this time.

I look forward to hearing from you. I will also be searching online and through our friends in Nice so any information I recieve i'll post up here for your reference as well.

Thanks, and wish your wife all the best through the pregnancy :)

Kind regards,

Manisha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Manisha,

My wife and I had to change our plans, so we're having our baby in the U.S. after all. This happened shortly after I posted my question to this group, so we didn't get a chance to do much research. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. This forum is very helpful and informative, so I hope you can find the information you need here.

Best wishes,

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Planning on the same

Hello

Anyone who had the experience that can share with me?
I am currently in the USA but moving to study in France soon and I will be there by the time my child is be born (March 2012). My partner is a USA citizen, I am Mexican, but aside the mountain of paperwork we will have to deal with, I am really interested in knowing how to do this right.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Paco

·
Administrator
50,805 Posts
Hello

Anyone who had the experience that can share with me?
I am currently in the USA but moving to study in France soon and I will be there by the time my child is be born (March 2012). My partner is a USA citizen, I am Mexican, but aside the mountain of paperwork we will have to deal with, I am really interested in knowing how to do this right.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Paco
You should probably contact the group Message, which is a mothers' group for English speaking mothers in France. They have members in the various regions who can give you all the information you need.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.