Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first post ;
hello,to one & all , from northern wisconsin .
very nice informative site ,well run .
im planning my 1st visit to phil , in the next 75 days or so.
have been chatting a young lady ,for apx 18 months .
after reading dozens of posts , ive realized , that several basic rules have been broken - or haa at least bent .
yes i met her on line - next , im 57 , she's 31 . was not aware of the -devide by 2 ,
add 7 , guide line as a minimum/maximum . but may well fall back upon it .
she is from , caloocan city , so my question's would start as - for a wedding in the
quezon area , at a nice church , with 50 attending at a nice , but not delux hall .
what might this cost ?
thanks in advance .

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Meet her in person and spend a lot of quality time her and her family.

I'm not sure where that rule originated but I don't think many follow it in the Philippines! More likely it would be divide by two and minus 7! 60 would be 30-7 = 23!
Great post! only thing I can add is in a internet romance one see only what one want to see not the real person, been there done that! very important to meet her family since they will be a big influence in your life. final advice: DO NOT DO IT NOW!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
donandabby ;
yes it reads that way ,
i am planning to stay for 6-8 weeks . not a hit n runnnn . haa like your modern math !
will be spending ,,most all of my time,,within this family -after arrival .
then going to look over , the east coast of mindoro ,,,im not a city guy .
looking out my windows here,,as im online . i see several deer at a time , 1 black bear walked past this summer , a powder grey wolf this spring .
thanks for the math quiz....

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Weddings Etc

Great post! only thing I can add is in a internet romance one see only what one want to see not the real person, been there done that! very important to meet her family since they will be a big influence in your life. final advice: DO NOT DO IT NOW!
I think you are jumping the gun a bit. Meet her in person and spend a lot of quality time her and her family.

I'm not sure where that rule originated but I don't think many follow it in the Philippines! More likely it would be divide by two and minus 7! 60 would be 30-7 = 23!
my first post ;
hello,to one & all , from northern wisconsin .
very nice informative site ,well run .
im planning my 1st visit to phil , in the next 75 days or so.
have been chatting a young lady ,for apx 18 months .
after reading dozens of posts , ive realized , that several basic rules have been broken - or haa at least bent .
yes i met her on line - next , im 57 , she's 31 . was not aware of the -devide by 2 ,
add 7 , guide line as a minimum/maximum . but may well fall back upon it .
she is from , caloocan city , so my question's would start as - for a wedding in the
quezon area , at a nice church , with 50 attending at a nice , but not delux hall .
what might this cost ?
thanks in advance .
Hi Northwoods,

The other guys that posted and that I'm showing their quotes have the right ideas. One thing to add though. I assume you are talking about a wedding in a Catholic church. Not sure of costs but I do know it can get expensive. Not so much for the wedding; but they will likely expect you to cover the cost of EVERYTHING and that will include a LOT of food and drink at the reception afterwards.
Be careful to not get sucked into this. It can cause you to end up spending far more than you thought possible.
Do not send $$$ in advance of your arrival for anything for any reason. When you are here, carry a very small amount of money with you and rely on an ATM card for your safety and security. Sounds like you are getting into a situation that most try to avoid at all cost :ballchain:...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
welcome to the forum!

Having just gone through the process, you will need the following to get your Marriage License in the RP;

Certified copy of your Birth Certificate
Certified copy of your Divorce Decree (if applicable)
Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry from the US Embassy in Manila (cost is $50)

She will need;

Copy of Birth Certificate
If not being married in her home town (an NSO eligibility to marry form)
Since she is over 30 she will need a “CENOMAR” (Certificate of No Marriage from the NSO)

Certain cities do not accept the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry (Quezon City, Makati, Davao). They want the old certification that the US Embassy will no longer provide.

Take all of the above to the local registrar to file for your Marriage License. The marriage license takes 10 business days to be issued after the application is filed. This is so that they can publicly advertise the application. After you receive your license, then you take it to the Magistrate for filing.

Getting married in a church will involve some kind of religious counseling and may not work if you are divorced.

If you are planning on bringing her to the US, I would recommend that you not marry her yet and bring her to the US on a Fiance’ Visa. It takes 6-8 months to complete the process. The reason being is that if you marry her in the RP and file for a spousal visa, it can get turned down. Then you are both stuck and you will either have to transfer to live in the RP or look into an annulment (not cheap at least $5000 and lengthy (up to 2 years)). You could always do some kind of a ceremony before your departure for her family.

To get back to your original question on cost…

It will definitely cost you more in Metro Manila than the outlying provinces.

I paid for our marriage application in Mindanao. Cost was 400p. This varies from town to town. I have heard as high as 1200p.

Cost to file in court 180p (again subject to local jurisdiction prices).
Cost for a church ceremony?? Don’t know as I am doing it civilly.

We went with a wedding planner that provided; wedding gown, broom’s attire, brides maids dresses, best men’s attire, decorations, music, photo shoot of wedding and prenup shots, flowers, invitations, wedding album, etc. This cost me 95,000p. But we had zero hassle and it was up to them on getting all of the above together.

For our reception, we rented a resort and let them cater it. Cost for the resort rental was 15,000p plus 300p/head on the catering. Again one stop shop and zero hassle.

Cost for the Judge to marry us outside of the courthouse; 2000p.

The final cost was a band for the reception, which cost another 5,000p.

So in total, it cost me 200,000p for a beach wedding at a resort with 200 wedding guests.

I would imagine that the total cost in Quezon city could easily be double if not more.

Even with the wedding planner and the resort managing the catering. It still took us a good 2-3 weeks of running around to get it all coordinated and finalized.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jet lag ;
read many of your posts ,,thanks to all .
i agree ,,,on all replies , to my 1st post .
learned alot ,,,since ive joined ,,,far to go .

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
donandabby ;
yes it reads that way ,
i am planning to stay for 6-8 weeks . not a hit n runnnn . haa like your modern math !
will be spending ,,most all of my time,,within this family -after arrival .
then going to look over , the east coast of mindoro ,,,im not a city guy .
looking out my windows here,,as im online . i see several deer at a time , 1 black bear walked past this summer , a powder grey wolf this spring .
thanks for the math quiz....
I am thinking that a church wedding could take at least 6 weeks to prepare for alone. I think that 8 weeks is still not enough in person time to get to know the person that you are planning the rest of your life with.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jon1 ;
great thanks !
will re-read your post several times over . sounds like you had a very nice plan .
am i correct ? ...200,000p apx $5000 usd ,,,for wedding + reception .
ok thanks to all...again .
looks as i may be ,,visiting this site offten ,,,seeya .
side note ; in the last 5 hours ,,ive gotten 4" of snow , sorry to make you guys feel good ..

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yes you are correct, $5000 more or less. There are other costs that will pop up, hotel, honeymoon but that is different :)

You can have my allotment of snow. I have no desire to ever have to endure that stuff ever again..

Also bring copies of your original documents as they will need that and a copy of your passport bio page (forgot to put that one in). I think they took a photo copy of my bride's driver's license for her ID.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im getting ready,,,to chill ? haaaaaa for the night ,,have a beer by the fire .
no air con,,required .
will check this post,,,in the morning .
ok thanks for all ,,the instant info...great site ,,great gang , good night .

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
When I was looking at all this some years ago it was recommended that you don't marry on the first trip. We got married on my third trip a year later.
I have always looked at it this way. In our home countries we (both men and women) are usually exceedingly careful, even cautious when thinking of getting married. It needs or should be the same in a foreign country -- ESPECIALLY a foreign country where one is wearing the "rose colored" tourist glasses. Danger and disappointment lurk when the other party has the "home court advantage." This is especially true in a 3rd world country like this is here. They have had centuries to prefect many techniques in entrapment and deceit. If I were looking to marry someone here that I hardly knew, I'd rather be playing the tables in Vegas--where the odds are better...
I've been married to a Filipina for many years-but we knew each other for 7 years prior to marriage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the top notch advice !
along with reading , several dozens of posts ,going back a few years , huge eye opener !
- where is the introduction page ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
When you do decide to take the plunge, be careful of the wedding planners. They can be pretty shady. My wife chose ours, and I was not happy. I think the woman eventually began to hate my guts because I told her it was my wife's wedding, not hers.

Unlike in the US, the groom pays for everything, not the bride. Be sure exactly what you are getting. You could run afoul of a bait and switch.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
When you do decide to take the plunge, be careful of the wedding planners. They can be pretty shady. My wife chose ours, and I was not happy. I think the woman eventually began to hate my guts because I told her it was my wife's wedding, not hers.

Unlike in the US, the groom pays for everything, not the bride. Be sure exactly what you are getting. You could run afoul of a bait and switch.
I agree... the first one we were looking at was pressuring her for a down payment with BS excuse. I told her not to go with that one as there should be no pressure. She looked around and got some referrals and ran across the one we are currently using. So far so good. They have been living up to what we signed up for and producing steadily.. We will see for the final day as I am sure that it won't be 100% glitch free (nothing ever is)...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i really appreciate , everyone's input and advice .
tell me , is there an introduction page ? where i give my newbe greetings and a small bio . ?

·
Registered
644 Posts
jon1...in your earlier post you mentioned only three possible items needed to marry a Filipina in country:

I WOULD NEED -

Certified copy of your Birth Certificate
Certified copy of your Divorce Decree (if applicable)
Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry from the US Embassy in Manila (cost is $50)

SHE WOULD NEED -

Copy of Birth Certificate
If not being married in her home town (an NSO eligibility to marry form)
Since she is over 30 she will need a “CENOMAR” (Certificate of No Marriage from the NSO)

However, I read somewhere in this forum and I am still trying to find it...was a comment posted that said you need a copy of a police report or something and that it was easier to get one of these prior to leaving the US rather than waiting until after moving to the Philippines. Is this true? and if so, what is it and what is the cost of such a document and the purpose of it?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts