Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Firstly I wanna say "sorry" if my post sounds ridiculous, but I would just like to know the cost of living in Sydney, as me, my wife, my 3 kids (9,6 and 1 year old) are intending to migrate to Sydney. We have already submitted the Visa Application 175, and now waiting.

My wife has never been overseas and to pack up and live in another country scares her a bit, but we're determine to go anyways.

Being a wife and mom, her biggest worries are the daily cost of living in Sydney. So I would appreciate if someone could help me and give me a rough idea of how much things cost in Sydney (ie. Food items like bread, chicken, milk, vege, etc).

Besides that Car and House payments, I will leave that out of the equation for now, but would be interested to know what "other types" of expenses we have to pay over there? Heard that the water bills, rates, electricity, etc is a something I may need to know about. So would appreciate breakdowns of each cost of utilities (per month) that I need to pay if I'm there.

Telephone, Internet, PayTV (Optus / Telstra Pay TVs), or any other expenses that you think I should know about.

It would be a great help, as I can show these to my wife and we can roughly have an idea how we are to live over there.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi WBB:

For food prices check out:
Welcome to Woolworths
Coles Supermarkets

Internet: $40-$100/month depending on how much you download (usage quota)
See: Whirlpool Broadband News

Phone: $25 line rental + phone charges for calls
See:
Welcome to Telstra.com
Optus - Welcome to Optus.com.au

PayTV: $50-$120/month depending on package
See: FOXTEL - Buy Now - FOXTEL Movies - Shop

Water:
Sydney Water Web Site (usually included in rent)

Gas:
AGL (usually included in rent)

Electricity:
EnergyAustralia - Home

Hi All,

Firstly I wanna say "sorry" if my post sounds ridiculous, but I would just like to know the cost of living in Sydney, as me, my wife, my 3 kids (9,6 and 1 year old) are intending to migrate to Sydney. We have already submitted the Visa Application 175, and now waiting.

My wife has never been overseas and to pack up and live in another country scares her a bit, but we're determine to go anyways.

Being a wife and mom, her biggest worries are the daily cost of living in Sydney. So I would appreciate if someone could help me and give me a rough idea of how much things cost in Sydney (ie. Food items like bread, chicken, milk, vege, etc).

Besides that Car and House payments, I will leave that out of the equation for now, but would be interested to know what "other types" of expenses we have to pay over there? Heard that the water bills, rates, electricity, etc is a something I may need to know about. So would appreciate breakdowns of each cost of utilities (per month) that I need to pay if I'm there.

Telephone, Internet, PayTV (Optus / Telstra Pay TVs), or any other expenses that you think I should know about.

It would be a great help, as I can show these to my wife and we can roughly have an idea how we are to live over there.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Have you checked out the cost of living sticky at the top of the forum page?

Dolly

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi WBB:

For food prices check out:
Welcome to Woolworths
Coles Supermarkets

Internet: $40-$100/month depending on how much you download (usage quota)
See: Whirlpool Broadband News

Phone: $25 line rental + phone charges for calls
See:
Welcome to Telstra.com
Optus - Welcome to Optus.com.au

PayTV: $50-$120/month depending on package
See: FOXTEL - Buy Now - FOXTEL Movies - Shop

Water:
Sydney Water Web Site (usually included in rent)

Gas:
AGL (usually included in rent)

Electricity:
EnergyAustralia - Home
Thanks for the references.... I never thought about that.... Well... guess what? I have went into the Coles and Woolworths website and downloaded the catalog just for references... and to top it off, I also went into BigW's website and got a whole lot of things to refer to....

And Dolly... yes I have seen the topic on leaving expenses, but I thought it didn't apply to where I wanna be - Sydney.... but thanks again

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the references.... I never thought about that.... Well... guess what? I have went into the Coles and Woolworths website and downloaded the catalog just for references... and to top it off, I also went into BigW's website and got a whole lot of things to refer to....

And Dolly... yes I have seen the topic on leaving expenses, but I thought it didn't apply to where I wanna be - Sydney.... but thanks again
Thank you very much Amaslam for sharing the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts