Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Fully comp starts at around €300 a year, although I am sure some will say where they can get it cheaper. Personally, I find it more expensive here than in UK but not enormously so. As far as I know you can pay over the first three months but it will cost extra. I have no idea if all insurance companies and brokers offer this service.

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
it's wings & roundabouts though isn't it?

road tax is usually WAY cheaper - unless you have a massive gas-guzzler

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
it's wings & roundabouts though isn't it?

road tax is usually WAY cheaper - unless you have a massive gas-guzzler
Depends on where you live & what council. Ours here is expensive for even run -of-the-mill cars.
I was talking to a chap from Almeria recently & he said that his tax on a Renault Megane was 46€. Here in Lorca it would cost 140€.
Friend of a friend has the same car as me & lives somewhere Estepona way. He pays 65€, & mine is 176€; which is more than the annual road tax for an articulated tractor unit in Andalucia !

When I first arrived car insurance here was eye wateringly expensive compared to the UK. In the majority of cases now the situation is reversed. + you get full EU yearly green card & recovery thrown in, something that is extra in the UK.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Yes that's true - I forgot that. Roadside recovery is pretty much standard here.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Mapfre more expensive here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As far as I understand, you are talking about comprehensive insurance to cover even your own's damage to the car.

But what can be the normal road traffic insurance rates for an average family vehicle (not a luxury or sports car)?
The one, which covers damage to other vehicle in case of your fault. Your vehicle is repaired then either by yourself (if your fault) or by other's party insurance (if his fault).

Just curious.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
As far as I understand, you are talking about comprehensive insurance to cover even your own's damage to the car.

But what can be the normal road traffic insurance rates for an average family vehicle (not a luxury or sports car)?
The one, which covers damage to other vehicle in case of your fault. Your vehicle is repaired then either by yourself (if your fault) or by other's party insurance (if his fault).

Just curious.
There is not a vast price difference so fully comp is the norm

·
Registered
503 Posts
We started out in 2006 with Allianz via a Granada broker... at that time none of the Spanish Insurance companies that we contacted would accept a 65% No Claims cert from the UK so we were stuck with paying the full whack... 495 Euros for a yr. 2000 Renault scenic 1.9Dci.
At the time we were under the impression that we had Fully Comp cover, but as we found out two years later when our car was rear ended (whilst parked) by a drunken youth during our village Fiesta, our cover was in fact solely third party. (Very pleased to report however that said drunken youth's car was a write off...) It transpired that he had no insurance at all...
Allianz did nothing, leaving it to us to sort out and pay for repairs to our Scenic. Renault quoted me three weeks and over 2500 Euros for the repairs. Eventually we paid a local Chapa y Pintura bodyshop 450 Euros for repairs which have since undergone four ITV inspections without a problem..
Premiums with Allianz increased with the rate of inflation and were only payable as a single lump sum. We gave Allianz the heave-ho the following year at renewal time and went to Seguros Caixa, the insurance dept of our bank La Caixa and insured the same car fully comp through them. Premiums were approx 15% less than with Allianz for TPF&T and importantly for our budgeting, payable monthly by D/D, The premium has remained fairly constant with inflation increases being met by an slowly increasing No Claims Discount scheme.
The cover includes Roadside Recovery throughout Europe and annual Green Card.

·
Registered
55 Posts
500 eur and this is not even fully comp??

That's amazing, I thought it is expensive to own a car in the Nordic countries, but I was wrong :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is there any online calculator to get an approximate quote on both road insurance and fully comp?
I've seen only "submit request" forms, which is time consuming.
I am planning my move to Spain and want to be aware of all upcoming costs at least approximately.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Tapas

... and that was 2006! But as I said, my 65% UK NCD was not acceptable by any of the firms I contacted... Currently I pay around 450€ Fully comp... and that on a 13 year old car!
Was it over 4 weeks old ?
Spanish companies only accept ncb's that are less than 1 month old ,even a spanish one !
I paid 700€ in 2002 & that was with a full ncb.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Is there any online calculator to get an approximate quote on both road insurance and fully comp?
I've seen only "submit request" forms, which is time consuming.
I am planning my move to Spain and want to be aware of all upcoming costs at least approximately.
Acierto.com - Seguros de Coche Baratos - Comparador de 30 Seguros

Rastreator.com - Comparador de seguros coche - Seguros de coche

If you input the same info into both , I've always found that the second one comes up with cheaper quotes from the same companies ? :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks a lot, this really helps.

As far as I understand correctly, "TERCEROS" is this basic minimum needed insurance, right?

Lots of questions, I've put my car in, tried Mallorca post code and got the best deal from Balumba for 200 eur.

"TODO RIESGO" seems to be fully comp and Balumba offers 686 eur..

btw, are roads good enough in Spain? If they are, maybe at least this is what will justify such a big payments =)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts