Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,
I am from India and want to pay Australia PR fees in AUD.
I am trying to dig into many available options for the same .
Some of them are:
1. Credit card
2. Debit card
3. Net banking
4. Demand Draft
5. Paypal
6. Forex card

For credit card and Paypal there is Extra surcharge applicable 0.98% and 1% respectively as per border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Fees/how-to-pay-for-an-application

I wanted to understand the breakup of the final cost that is deducted from our account after successful transaction .
Also whether than final amount in INR will be similar if we use any of the above modes or will it vary? and if it varies which is economic efficient method to use for payment?

As far as my analysis and discussion with HDFC bank person ,I am on the page with following information:
The final amount deducted for credit/debit card and netbanking = (Current AUD rate in INR* Number of AUD you wish to pay) + Foreign Exchange rate for INR to AUD that day + Markup fees

Though i am note sure if this is correct or there are any hidden charges .So need someone to help me out.

Also many says that forex card is beneficial ,but if I buy one and load it someday it will also recover the similar charges apart from markup fee which i am not sure of and then when you use this card , suppose that day foreign exchange rate or dollar goes too low ,you will get it done in less amount from other modes than your forex card since for that you already have paid .So i am not sure about this.

If anybody can help on this ,it will be really helpful.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Go with Forex Card... ask the bank when they suggest a good day for better rates, even though FX rates changes it wont be that significant that you will lose 10 rs per dollar, it will be minimal like 2 Rs...

Surcharges apply from both the end, from DIBP as well as bank. Also ask bank what is "Today's rate"? they will reply better

Today's rate for AUD from HDFC bank is 50.18 INR
https://www.hdfcbank.com/nri_banking/Foreign_Exchng_Rates/Foreign_Exchng_Rates.asp

But rate at this instant is 51.06 INR

With forex card, once you have paid the fees you can load balance amount to your bank if you are not going to use it. Calculate exact amount you are going to pay (including surcharges) plus 20k extra... this would be sufficient

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go with Forex Card... ask the bank when they suggest a good day for better rates, even though FX rates changes it wont be that significant that you will lose 10 rs per dollar, it will be minimal like 2 Rs...

Surcharges apply from both the end, from DIBP as well as bank. Also ask bank what is "Today's rate"? they will reply better

Today's rate for AUD from HDFC bank is 50.18 INR
hdfcbank.com/nri_banking/Foreign_Exchng_Rates/Foreign_Exchng_Rates.asp

But rate at this instant is 51.06 INR

With forex card, once you have paid the fees you can load balance amount to your bank if you are not going to use it. Calculate exact amount you are going to pay (including surcharges) plus 20k extra... this would be sufficient

Thanks Anamika .
I see you talked about calculating surcharges from both end from DBIP and from bank. I guess DBIP surcharge is 0.98% for visa/master cards which is applicable for forex card too if i am not wrong. How to know the bank surcharge ?is it listed on hdfc website or do i have to inquire in bank itself?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I am having Diners club credit card (Rewardz) . Can I pay my visa fees through that? I know it is listed on DIBP website , but my agent is negating the fact and saying only visa/master cards are accepted by DIBP.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I am having Diners club credit card (Rewardz) . Can I pay my visa fees through that? I know it is listed on DIBP website , but my agent is negating the fact and saying only visa/master cards are accepted by DIBP.
Your agent is wrong, You can pay with Diners Club, but mind you the transaction charge levied by DIBP is very high for Diners as compared to VISA and MasterCard.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Your agent is wrong, You can pay with Diners Club, but mind you the transaction charge levied by DIBP is very high for Diners as compared to VISA and MasterCard.
Yip i have checked transaction charge and it almost double. But i will also get reward points against that charges , which will compensate the extra transaction charges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts