Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I thought i would write my first post as i havent actually seen anything similar.

Myself and my 18mth old daughter plan to move to either Montpellier or Nimes later this year however, how did you all find temporary accomadation with children for a month or so, while looking for something permenant and what did you do with all the items that you want to ship from your old home in the mean while?

This is a new venture for us, and have no idea where to start. We are taking a trip to france in the next few weeks to decide on which city.

Do i build relationship with estate agents before we move or do i have to do most of the searching myself (as a single mother)

But i would like to know how much it would cost us to stay in short term letting, i need somewhere safe, clean and relatively cheap...

Love to hear your thoughts

Thanks
RA and Baby SA

·
Registered
49 Posts
You didn't mention where you are moving from but if you are shipping your stuff from the US, it'll take at least 2 months for your stuff to arrive. In terms of accommodations, there are lots of B&B's or even rooms you can rent in someone's house. Do some research on the internet and I'm sure you'll find something.

Anna

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
127 Posts
It kind-of depends on how short-term you're talking. I've seen one bedroom apartments for rent online for 300 Euros per week (fully furnished). That's Paris area, but you might find something similar. I would try to find some places on-line before you go so you can save some time when you get there. Seloger.com and PAP.fr are really good sites. Good luck!

Caroline

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Hello all,

I thought i would write my first post as i havent actually seen anything similar.

Myself and my 18mth old daughter plan to move to either Montpellier or Nimes later this year however, how did you all find temporary accomadation with children for a month or so, while looking for something permenant and what did you do with all the items that you want to ship from your old home in the mean while?

This is a new venture for us, and have no idea where to start. We are taking a trip to france in the next few weeks to decide on which city.

Do i build relationship with estate agents before we move or do i have to do most of the searching myself (as a single mother)

But i would like to know how much it would cost us to stay in short term letting, i need somewhere safe, clean and relatively cheap...

Thanks
RA and Baby SA
Hi,

I have to say this is something of a challenge that I'm about to experience( fingers crossed). So far the options appear to be in order of cost:

Hotel €100 per night
Gite /B&B €65 per night
Furnished apartment €400 per month

Obviously we will need an address in France immediately to open bank accounts, get cell phones, buy car. We are researching furnished apartments on-line and having a great deal of difficulty in deciding exactly what is included - one said furnished and then it's inventory said it was empty. Fortunately I have a friend who is going to assist with this search.

Google "appartement meuble" in the town area you want, there is a website IMMOBILIER De Particulier A Particulier - Annonces immobilières de particuliers - Immobilier | PAP for searching for private treaty rentals and purchases, and Petites annonces gratuites d'occasion - leboncoin.fr also for both private and professional rents/purchases.

The second issue is the documentation that landlords want such as payslips, utility bills, employer records, previous rental agreements - none of we have as we are retired and have always owned our own house.

Agencies will charge a fee at least equal to a months rent and you may have to pay a couple of months up front.

The shipping company will, for a price (about €7 per cubic meter) store your stuff until you have it delivered to your final destination. Or you could have it delivered to a storage facility locally.

If you don't speak French this is going to get very difficult - you could search the UK-based companies for 'holiday lets'.

Timing is everything - you probably won't find anything in July or August unless you can book it now. Also many places are only open from April to September.

Good luck and let us know how you get on, this subject is of interest to a lot of people.

Cheers

David

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
How you handle your accommodation on arrival can depend a bit on exactly how and why you're coming to France.

I really wouldn't try to rent anyplace other than a hotel or very short term accommodation sight unseen over the Internet. Better to plan on staying in a hotel or bed and breakfast for the first couple of weeks while you're hitting the rental agencies to find a regular (i.e. unfurnished) apartment or house. There are starting to be some "apart-hotels" springing up around France where you have a room with a kitchenette and more limited cleaning services than a regular hotel room, but so far I've found these places charge as much as most full-service hotels.

Unless your French is reasonably good, I wouldn't attempt to find a rental directly through a landlord (e.g. PAP). The agencies require heavy fees up front, but can help you negotiate how to handle the lack of credit (lack of 3 months' back payslips, already established bank account, etc.). If you have an employer lined up, you may be able to get some assistance from them for deposits or guarantees. The alternative is to prepay several months' rent (i.e. 6 months or more) to assure the landlord that you are able to pay the rent.

If you work with agencies be very careful not to let a second agency show you the same place you've already seen before. Normally, the agent will have you sign a form before they'll show you any place, stating that if you take it you'll owe them the full fee. If you "accidentally" go for a place that two agents have shown you, you'll owe two fees.

If you're making a scouting trip to France, you might want to stop by a few rental agencies to discuss what you're looking for and see what the local market is like.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks
RA and Baby SA

hello! you may explore this option:

Room to rent, Homestay Bed and Breakfast and host family Worldwide | Bedycasa

it is a french company that offers temporary stays....you have b&b, housemate situation, etc... and they have a network around the world as well.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
oh, my pleasure.
the founder of this site is a young, charming french woman. she won some sort of award as new entrepreneur of the year in france.... for me what's cool about it, you can travel and get a chance to be in closer contact with the locals right away!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I was in a similar position nearly ten years ago - single mother with 12 yr old daughter. With part of the proceeds from the sale of my UK house, I bought a caravan & we lived on a site near Calais waiting for paperwork to go through. I based us in Calais to be in the best place to strike out in any direction & we got a very good deal from the campsite for a long-term stay (3-4 months). So that might be a suitable option for you - it's certainly cheaper than anything else, if you can afford the initial investment. You might find there are cheap second-hand caravans in your target area which Brits who have been renovating a place have been living in, and still have on their hands.

I was lucky enough to be able to store all our other goods & chattels at my parents' place in the UK until we got our own place in France - eventually in the Auvergne, and with some letting chalets in Corsica now (which is where I currently am - blue blue skies, golden beach - ho hum - life is sooo tuff away from the ratrace).

Good luck.
H

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was in a similar position nearly ten years ago - single mother with 12 yr old daughter. With part of the proceeds from the sale of my UK house, I bought a caravan & we lived on a site near Calais waiting for paperwork to go through. I based us in Calais to be in the best place to strike out in any direction & we got a very good deal from the campsite for a long-term stay (3-4 months). So that might be a suitable option for you - it's certainly cheaper than anything else, if you can afford the initial investment. You might find there are cheap second-hand caravans in your target area which Brits who have been renovating a place have been living in, and still have on their hands.

I was lucky enough to be able to store all our other goods & chattels at my parents' place in the UK until we got our own place in France - eventually in the Auvergne, and with some letting chalets in Corsica now (which is where I currently am - blue blue skies, golden beach - ho hum - life is sooo tuff away from the ratrace).

Good luck.
H

Hi H,

I'd love to find out how you did this all, and where you are in Corsica. I've got two kids, 8 and 11, and thinking of the same thing (the boys are French, so we can live in France easier.) I am wondering if Corsica is nice, a little strange with the culture? and not too expensive -- I used to live in Sardegna a long time ago, beautiful. How are you liking Corsica? Are there good French public schools for your daughter? My kids used to go to the French public schools, and I'm looking for the same. I plan to teach English (advanced, business) and also work from my computer. Thanks!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hi H,

I'd love to find out how you did this all, and where you are in Corsica. I've got two kids, 8 and 11, and thinking of the same thing (the boys are French, so we can live in France easier.) I am wondering if Corsica is nice, a little strange with the culture? and not too expensive -- I used to live in Sardegna a long time ago, beautiful. How are you liking Corsica? Are there good French public schools for your daughter? My kids used to go to the French public schools, and I'm looking for the same. I plan to teach English (advanced, business) and also work from my computer. Thanks!
Corsica is fantastic but forget it if you're on a budget. Both rental and sale properties are outrageously expensive, and the cost of living is slightly higher than on the continent (although there are certain tax breaks for the lucky ones). It's worked out fine for us because our main home(s) are near Clermont-Ferrand; what we have here are three letting chalet/mobilhomes on managed sites. I would love to base myself & animals here permanently but, even if I realise all the assets, I wouldn't be able to do it the way I would wish to here. So we compromise and spend about 6 weeks a time in each location.

All of that said, Corsica seems exceptionally Brit-friendly, less so towards the French, Germans, Dutch & Italians, so if you can, it's worth trying to establish yourself here. Schools, as far as I know are as good as anywhere - & multi-lingual, since Corsican is taught, but many kids go to the Continent for Lycee & Higher Education, depending on their course choices. Young people invariably go to the Continent to start work, but come back here for the holidays. My daughter's now 21, but got her Brevet & Bac at schools in the Puy de Dome, so educating here didn't enter the argument. She is currently working as a guide/chauffeur near Calvi, taking paying punters around off-road Corsica in 4x4s and boats (but she is a qualified undertaker!).

The Auvergne/Limousin are the cheaper areas of mainland France, as far as I understand, but don't expect a city lifestyle.

Re teaching English, you have to be exceptionally good and/or lucky to make any decent money at it - the competition is far too great. See other threads in this forum on that topic.

Whatever you decide, good luck. The only real advice I can give you is to be open-minded, realistic, patient and prepared to integrate - o, and however absurd it may seem, play the bureaucratic game according to local rules.

H

·
Registered
32 Posts
Corsica is fantastic but forget it if you're on a budget. Both rental and sale properties are outrageously expensive, and the cost of living is slightly higher than on the continent (although there are certain tax breaks for the lucky ones). It's worked out fine for us because our main home(s) are near Clermont-Ferrand; what we have here are three letting chalet/mobilhomes on managed sites. I would love to base myself & animals here permanently but, even if I realise all the assets, I wouldn't be able to do it the way I would wish to here. So we compromise and spend about 6 weeks a time in each location.

All of that said, Corsica seems exceptionally Brit-friendly, less so towards the French, Germans, Dutch & Italians, so if you can, it's worth trying to establish yourself here. Schools, as far as I know are as good as anywhere - & multi-lingual, since Corsican is taught, but many kids go to the Continent for Lycee & Higher Education, depending on their course choices. Young people invariably go to the Continent to start work, but come back here for the holidays. My daughter's now 21, but got her Brevet & Bac at schools in the Puy de Dome, so educating here didn't enter the argument. She is currently working as a guide/chauffeur near Calvi, taking paying punters around off-road Corsica in 4x4s and boats (but she is a qualified undertaker!).

The Auvergne/Limousin are the cheaper areas of mainland France, as far as I understand, but don't expect a city lifestyle.

Re teaching English, you have to be exceptionally good and/or lucky to make any decent money at it - the competition is far too great. See other threads in this forum on that topic.

Whatever you decide, good luck. The only real advice I can give you is to be open-minded, realistic, patient and prepared to integrate - o, and however absurd it may seem, play the bureaucratic game according to local rules.

H
H - Thanks so much for all your thoughts. i heard Corse was expensive, but like Sardegna, I was hoping there were cheaper areas (if you step out of the expensive beach areas it gets cheap in Sardegna.) But what do you think about the South of France Puy de Dome area where you raised your daughter?

We are French (1/2 Amemrican but still French and bilingual)- but I imagine it will still take time to be accepted anywhere (we got on well in Paris, but that was years ago.) I am really looking for someplace warmer, in the South. I won't have a car, and don't plan on purchasing one, so that will save a lot, but then we are limited to small cities with public transport and a train station. Clermont Ferrard I hear is less expensive, too, so that maybe is good, but maybe not warm enough for me!

If you have any thoughts on nice places on the mainland, do let me know I appreciate your thoughts! And caravaning is an idea until we find a spot!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Sardinia is a lot cheaper than Corsica, even in the beach areas, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of establishing anything in yet another country - and my Italian isn't too hot :( Nowhere in Corsica is cheap - even in the mountains, things are pricy.

On the Continent, I really only know about the Auvergne area in any detail, and i can confirm that you would probably find Clermont cold & wet for most of the year. Have you thought perhaps about Privas or Montelimar in the Drome? People tend to drive straight past them on their way between North & South, or between the Ardeche/Dordogne & the Alps, but Montelimar itself is lovely & reasonably sized town without being too big; Privas is smaller & less well-known, so it might be easier to find something around there.

Good luck.
H

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I understand!

Sardinia is a lot cheaper than Corsica, even in the beach areas, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of establishing anything in yet another country - and my Italian isn't too hot :( Nowhere in Corsica is cheap - even in the mountains, things are pricy.

On the Continent, I really only know about the Auvergne area in any detail, and i can confirm that you would probably find Clermont cold & wet for most of the year. Have you thought perhaps about Privas or Montelimar in the Drome? People tend to drive straight past them on their way between North & South, or between the Ardeche/Dordogne & the Alps, but Montelimar itself is lovely & reasonably sized town without being too big; Privas is smaller & less well-known, so it might be easier to find something around there.

Good luck.
H
THank you, I will look at Montelimar (I pen pall with a family there!0 and I will look at Privas, too. I know there are nuke facilities all up and down the Rhone, so that is why I wasn't too thrilled.... but maybe far enough away would be okay.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
THank you, I will look at Montelimar (I pen pall with a family there!0 and I will look at Privas, too. I know there are nuke facilities all up and down the Rhone, so that is why I wasn't too thrilled.... but maybe far enough away would be okay.
Cool it re the nukes; the Rhone isn't between tectonic plates.

H

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
In truth, it's the radioactive emissions that occur even without an earthquake, but France seems to have the plants better constructed, and better under control!
Apparently the background radiation in Cornwall is constantly higher than that after the problems in Japan, and there aren't too many people wittering on about that - to the best of my knowledge.

Naaa - here you're in more danger on the roads than you are anywhere near a nuke plant ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks
RA and Baby SA
A few questions there - and I'm afraid I know nothing about your chosen area - but suggest you look at leboncoin.fr for rentals in your area.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fracking, too - Oh no!

A few questions there - and I'm afraid I know nothing about your chosen area - but suggest you look at leboncoin.fr for rentals in your area.
Now they want to do fracking (extraction of nat. gas, which is methane!) too, near AIx and right near Montelimar.
We have it here in PA and upstate NY and it is a disaster!

I studied environmental law, and I practice now, and methane/nat. gas extraction from shale is really a bad pollutant.

I hope they have stopped it in France for good!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.