Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we are applying on Monday for our spouse visa and tomorrow will photocopy our supporting documents - just a quick question tho- do ALL the supporting documents need to be photocopied and submitted?
Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes you need to copy all the supporting documents .you make two folders one for the originals and one for the copies .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Certified Copies?

Just a quick question. Do you need to have the photo copies of supporting documents certified by the police? I am applying from South Africa. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I don't know if it's necessary to photocopy things like chat logs, is it? We left those out (to save some weight/clutter) but photocopied any of the important documents which we needed returned... The instructions only said to make copies of the ones you need back so I'm not sure?

Reactions: Mr Kirk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could you please send me a link to the instructions that mentions to photocopy important documents that you need returned? Do you only photocopy docs that you need returned so for example if it is not a problem if bank statements or payslips are not returned do you still need to photocopy them?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, I'm also about to mail my documents for an EEA FP. Speaking of copies, due to the special paper my marriage certificate is made out of any photocopy of it comes out blurry and unreadable, I'm assuming for security reasons. I have more than one official copy. Should I just include 2 of them? Also, do you think I should get the copy of my bank statements stamped by my bank (I'm not sure if they even do it at the branch I use) or is that unnecessary?

@NatalieJacquelin- They just need regular photocopies which you can get by using a scanner at home or getting from a copy made at a printing store or FedEx.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
You should include a copy of all documents. They may or may not return your originals to you if you don't and in the event that your visa is refused and you have to reapply you will need to resubmit those originals.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Yeah, the instructions I got for submitting supporting documents was given to me on a leaflet at my biometrics appointment. The wording was "Please provide photocopies of any documents you need returned to you". I took that to mean things other than eticket receipts or copies of chat logs which could easily be reprinted from my email, so I left them out. I honestly don't have any evidence that this was the right or wrong thing to do... That was just the instruction given to me in New York and I'm not toooooo worried... :)

Reactions: thatweirdlady

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
That's a sensible line to take. But do supply copies of original payslips and bank statement, which will be difficult/cumbersome to get should you need them again.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I'm not sure if it helps anyone in this thread, but here's a scanned copy of the instructions given to me at the biometrics appointment in New York (yes it was actually printed a bit crooked). I don't think it's confidential, but any mods please let me know if this is not ok to post!

http://i.imgur.com/aJfxxHg.jpg

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm not sure if it helps anyone in this thread, but here's a scanned copy of the instructions given to me at the biometrics appointment in New York (yes it was actually printed a bit crooked). I don't think it's confidential, but any mods please let me know if this is not ok to post!

http://i.imgur.com/aJfxxHg.jpg
That's very interesting. It mentions courier service from the US, and a quick look on the VFS Global website shows this:

Important Information: Commencing 20 January, 2015 applicants applying for a visa to visit the UK can now purchase Return and Roundtrip Courier Service on this website. To learn more about these services, please click here.
The link is to here: UK Visa Information - United States of America - User Pay Services

It looks pricey to use the courier service which seems to be UPS. Or am I being naive, and it really costs this much?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
UPS is the carrier they partner with, but it is courier service. You're really paying for the assurance of door-to-door service with a courier. For comparison though, that's almost exactly what I paid for roundtrip delivery directly through UPS from New York (Global Saver on the way to Sheffield, and DHL on the way back). Estimated delivery times were no different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.