Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Australian girlfriend is applying for a student visa in France. She has been living in France since August 2014 on a 1 year French Working Holiday Visa. The course that she wants to do starts in October.

We think it is possible for her to lodge her visa request in London through TLC rather than going all the way back to Australia, because that is how she got her working holiday visa. TLC mentioned that she may need to complete a '90 day cooling-off period' before she can apply for the French student visa but haven't explained what it is and when it needs to start.

Does anyone know anything about a '90 day cooling-off period'? Why is it necessary and who does it apply to? Does this mean she just has to spend 90 days out of France?Would it start immediately after my girlfriend's Working Holiday Visa ends (August 2015) or could it start earlier so that she would be back in France in time for the start of her course?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

·
Administrator
51,572 Posts
Generally speaking, the French consulates will only accept a visa application from someone who is legally resident in their area. For your girlfriend, that would mean that she has a long stay visa for the UK. Was that her situation when she applied for the WHV?

I assume that the 90 day period refers to the need for her to be resident in the UK long enough to establish legal residence there (though I admit I don't know what the visa/residence requirements are for Australian nationals in the UK).

Not sure how relevant the end of her WHV is, but what may be critical is her ability to establish residence in the UK.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev,

Thank you for your reply! You're right, I believe she was able to apply for her WHV in London because she has a 5 year UK ancestry visa (valid until 2019).

We've only received one email from TLS and it was in broken English but I suspected it was suggesting that she is required to spend some time in the UK.

If this is the case and it's not dependant on the end of the WHV it's is relatively good news because she may have time to live in the UK before she applies for the student visa.

Now that you've said it, I think you're right and this is the situation. We'll assume this for now until we hear back from TLS, then I'll post an update when we know for sure.

Thank you,
Charlie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts