Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm considering returning to the UK as a tourist when my current student visa expires, and have a few questions/concerns I'm seeking help with.

• As a US citizen how long can I stay as a tourist without a visa? I've read some conflicting information about 6 months vs. 3 months.
  • Should I apply for a tourist visa even though US isn't marked as a visa national country on the UKBA site?
  • Will having or not having a visa affect the length of time I can stay in the UK?
  • If I have to apply for a visitor/tourist visa, can I do that from within the UK, or will I need to return to the US for that process?

Thanks so much for your time and help!

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
It's 6 months.
You don't need a visit visa. But since you are currently in UK on Tier 4 visa, you should really return home first and then, after a suitable interval, try to return to UK as tourist. I said after an interval (say a few months) because if you return too soon, the border control will wonder why, having spent a long time already in UK and any visiting should have been done then. What brings you back to UK? Their worry is you are really trying to return to UK to live rather than visit, and possibly by taking jobs illegally. So there is a chance you may be turned away.
To lessen the chance of that happening, ensure you carry with you documentary evidence of:
a) adequate funds, such as latest bank statement, salary slip etc;
b) outline itinerary so they will know what you may be doing;
c) and most important of all, strong ties in US which will compel you to return home when you say you will. This can take the form of a job or graduate school.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Joppa.

I'd like to return to the UK as a tourist since I haven't had time to do any travel while studying and working on my visa.

I have documents of funds and can provide an itinerary, but don't necessarily have strong ties to the US other than family and friends.

While I don't need a visa, would applying/qualifying for one allow me to extend my current stay in the UK without having to leave?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.