Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an expired overseas driving license (expired week ago) with issue date of 6/2015 and for some reason I’ll not be able to obtain a renewal as government services are out of duty during our endless lockdown status..

I was going to move to Sydney in couple of weeks and I would like to know if it’s acceptable to apply for the full license in NSW using my expired license with issue date over 3 years, or i need to start the route from the very first beginning (L, P1, P2, full license)?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hello,

I have an expired overseas driving license (expired week ago) with issue date of 6/2015 and for some reason I’ll not be able to obtain a renewal as government services are out of duty during our endless lockdown status..

I was going to move to Sydney in couple of weeks and I would like to know if it’s acceptable to apply for the full license in NSW using my expired license with issue date over 3 years, or i need to start the route from the very first beginning (L, P1, P2, full license)?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You haven't specified which country is your current Driving License from, because that matters if you progress through all levels or if you are exempted.

Generally, you maybe exempted if you license expire not more than 5 years ago, if it is issued by one of the recognised Foreign Licensing Authority.

Please check this page for more details (Under section --> Exemptions from Knowledge and Driving Tests)

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/moving-to-nsw.html#Internationaldriversandriders

All the best..!

·
Registered
120 Posts
You haven't specified which country is your current Driving License from, because that matters if you progress through all levels or if you are exempted.

Generally, you maybe exempted if you license expire not more than 5 years ago, if it is issued by one of the recognised Foreign Licensing Authority.

Please check this page for more details (Under section --> Exemptions from Knowledge and Driving Tests)

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/moving-to-nsw.html#Internationaldriversandriders

All the best..!
Hi,

Is it possible to get full licence without a DL extract of my Indian licence ? I got the details updated in system, but I won't be able to get an extract since it requires a visit to RTO.

Is there any other option without a visit to RTO ?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Hi,

Is it possible to get full licence without a DL extract of my Indian licence ? I got the details updated in system, but I won't be able to get an extract since it requires a visit to RTO.

If you have updated your details in RTO system, did you receive an updated license card? If so, no extract is needed since the details match with your license. If not you need an extract.

Process of getting an extract varies from state to state. In Bangalore for example, you have "Bangalore One" centers, which issue DL extract. Not sure about your location.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi,

Hi

If you are in Australia, then You can try taking the print out of the details from parivahan/sarathi website and obtain Indian driving license verification (IDLV) from VFS.

If you are in india, then see if you can apply for DL Extract online via RTO website of your state.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have updated your details in RTO system, did you receive an updated license card? If so, no extract is needed since the details match with your license. If not you need an extract.

Process of getting an extract varies from state to state. In Bangalore for example, you have "Bangalore One" centers, which issue DL extract. Not sure about your location.
I got the details updated in the system, by submitting a self attested copy. They updated it two weeks later, but I didn't get a new licence. The number in the system has year and rto code and no photo ! My licence was issued in 2008 and has only last 5 digits of the complete licence number

So I applied for extract from the website, paid fee, but I could not visit RTO office personally since lockdown was in place and I was in another state. Now I won't be able to visit RTO since I'm travelling to Sydney soon.

The licence is searchable in system and it is also there in the mParivahan app as virtual DL.

Is there any other way to do this ? I'm especially concerned since my photo is not there in the virtual DL.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi

If you are in Australia, then You can try taking the print out of the details from parivahan/sarathi website and obtain Indian driving license verification (IDLV) from VFS.

If you are in india, then see if you can apply for DL Extract online via RTO website of your state.
Thanks mate. So VFS can do this without any letter from local RTO ?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I got the details updated in the system, by submitting a self attested copy. They updated it two weeks later, but I didn't get a new licence. The number in the system has year and rto code and no photo ! My licence was issued in 2008 and has only last 5 digits of the complete licence number

So I applied for extract from the website, paid fee, but I could not visit RTO office personally since lockdown was in place and I was in another state. Now I won't be able to visit RTO since I'm travelling to Sydney soon.

The licence is searchable in system and it is also there in the mParivahan app as virtual DL.

Is there any other way to do this ? I'm especially concerned since my photo is not there in the virtual DL.

Which state issued license is yours? If Karnataka, you don't need to visit RTO to get your extract. I would suggest you visit and sort it out asap. Since your photo is not visible, I'm not sure how VFS will address it, maybe someone who did it may confirm.

But again, my advice would be to sort it out there itself. It is a matter of getting an extract of your license.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts