Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in the US for the last 8 years. First I had an F-1 student visa and now I'm on an M-1 student visa, which will expire in December 2012. After that, I would like to travel a bit in the US before returning home to Europe. So my question is, can I apply for a tourist visa (B2) from within the US?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I researched this I-539 form. I'm not sure if they would approve a change from a student visa to B-2. I researched a lot about this on the Internet but found nothing, nobody who has been successful in doing that. So I don't know if this would work at all. Also, once I do that and are denied, it may be more difficult in the future to get another visa, I assume. But I also don't know. So I don't know yet if I will do that or not. Probably not. As far as stretching the welcome, well, I have paid thousands of dollars in tuition and also I worked here for a few years (CPT and OPT) and paid thousands of dollars in taxes. So I wouldn't quite call it like that. Had I done the same thing in another industrialized country, such as Australia, New Zealand, etc. I would have already earned my residency permit many times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to go ahead and file form I-539 to change my status to visitor (B-2). Will post here if I was successful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have started filling out the paperwork (I-539) and was wondering if it may be a good idea to already purchase a one-way airline ticket to prove my departure intent. I saw most airlines have crazy ticket prices if you purchase a one-way ticket. The only airline with reasonable one-way fares I found is Air New Zealand. So I was thinking to buy a ticket already and include that with my application to change my status from student to visitor. Now I'm wondering for what date I need to purchase the ticket. For a date in July, when my M-1 status expires, or for a date in November, when my planned vacation ends (in case my change of status to B-2 is approved)? I saw that the air fare to November costs half as much. So I would prefer to purchase a ticket for November and then change it to an earlier date in case my application is not approved. But is this the best thing to do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update regarding my situation. My change of status application was denied 2 days ago. I just saw it online in the case status check. I haven't received the letter yet, so I don't know the reason. The reason why I wanted this change of status from M-1 to B-2 was to take a vacation after the completion of my studies. My I-94 expired already. So now I don't know how long I will be given to leave the country. Does anyone here know? How long do they grant you after they deny the I-539? I read somewhere that one must leave right away. But it will take me at least a few days to book my flight and throw away my remaining furniture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my denial notice they didn't tell me how quickly I have to leave. They only said I have to depart the United States immediately. I have booked my flight already. It departs 10 days after I received my denial notice. Do you know if this is immediate enough? Will 10 days look bad in their eyes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I received the denial notice on September 7. But the date on the notice is September 4. And I'm leaving on September 17. So my flight departs 10 days after I received the notice.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top