Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am an australian citizen living in Australia. My mother has applied for a visit visa to Australia for 12 months. the process of visa is in progress. I also want to apply for contributory parent visa for her (she satisfies the eligibility test).
I am very sure that when she gets the visa it will have condition 853( i guess the one in which you can not apply for any other visa)

My question is in this situation can i apply for contributory visa . can that be applied for her either (inshore or offshore) ..I want to run the two in parallel so that if she gets the visitor visa for 12months and in this period the other case is in progress so she wont have to be away from australia for too long . I guess in the Contributory parent the visas are generally given in around 18 months.

I really need this help as my mother is alone in Pakistan (unfortunately my father passed away last month) so you can imagine how eager i am to bring her here.

Will appreciate any guidance.

regards
Kamran

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I am also in the same boat. Now what is the situation. Since you posted this question. Any progress in your mother's status. Did you first apply for tourist visa and then for Contributory visa. I want to know your progress. Please answer me.

thanks
Jo

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi,

Recently I have got my PR visa. I yet not visited Australia. Can I apply for my parents under Contributory Parent Visa?

G

·
Not yet you cant no. You need to be settled for 2 years in Australia before you can sponsor them then only if they pass the balance of family test.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone

My name is Vikas and I am Australian citizen. I applied for my parents for contributory parent visa 173 and my parents medical was done in year 2012. In medical my parents got some issues and doctor supposed us to get treatment. My both parents heart vessels were thin because of some blockage. Mother was cured by ballooning but father had minor operation and was fixed with one stunt. Once everything was done, Doctor sent the report to department. Three months later, we got email from department to go through the medical test again. We went through the same and everything was alright. After medical, my parents got the visa.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not yet you cant no. You need to be settled for 2 years in Australia before you can sponsor them then only if they pass the balance of family test.
Shel, what do you mean by 2 years settlement? Does that mean 2 years after PR or 2 years in Australia? And would the condition of 2 years be removed if the person is already an Australian citizen?

G

·
A person with PR needs to be settled ie has lived in Australia for 2 years before being able to sponsor parents. If one is a citizen they would meet that requirement anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
is there any way to include your parents right after arriving in Australia? is there any other way rather than waiting for 2 years?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I want to ask a question regarding working visa for parents. i and my wife has got longer visa for parents which is valid upto July 2016. Now how can I apply for any working visa which is decided early and costs less. As my age is 53 years and my both the children are permanent residents of Australia along with their spouses.Presently I am in India.

G

·
I want to ask a question regarding working visa for parents. i and my wife has got longer visa for parents which is valid upto July 2016. Now how can I apply for any working visa which is decided early and costs less. As my age is 53 years and my both the children are permanent residents of Australia along with their spouses.Presently I am in India.
At 53 you are too old for a skilled migrant visa, you would need to apply for a parent visa, which still allows you to work. Though your options are either very expensive $40k each or very slow to grant 15years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
parents visa

At 53 you are too old for a skilled migrant visa, you would need to apply for a parent visa, which still allows you to work. Though your options are either very expensive $40k each or very slow to grant 15years.
Can I apply for sub class 173 which is for 2 years with less charges and afterwards can be converted into subclass 143

G

·
Yes, that is what many people do to spread the cost of the visa as it is very expensive. Though you will be a temporary resident for 2 years without access to medicare etc and will still need to find the money for the 143 in 2 years.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How much I have to pay at the time of application of 173 and then after 1 or 2 years when visa under subclass 173 is granted . Please also inform the charges for 143 are to be paid from date of application of 173 or date of arrival in Australia after grant of 173.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Hello _shel,

Can you please elaborate on the two types of Parent Visa that you had mentioned above.... the $40K & the other 15 years. I mean if you know about the actual classes/categories of these Visas & any relevant or related link from where I would be able to gather as much information as possible.

Thanks you very much

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi _Shel,

When you say $40K each - does it mean that it will cost around $80k plus to bring my parents(father and mother) to Aus.

Or a single application (for both my parents) would mean only $40k plus to be paid for both my parents.

Please clarify.

regards,
Guru

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Hi _Shel,

When you say $40K each - does it mean that it will cost around $80k plus to bring my parents(father and mother) to Aus.

Or a single application (for both my parents) would mean only $40k plus to be paid for both my parents.

Please clarify.

regards,
Guru
$40K+ for each parent.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.