Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner is a member of this board, and he recommended this as a good place to ask for advice. :)

I am currently in permanent employment that covers the income requirement. Recently, a couple of great contracting opportunities have come up that I would really like to consider. However, there's about four months remaining on my partner's visa until he can apply for his next FLR(M).

After speaking to an immigration solicitor, it looks like it might be very complicated to transition into self-employment so close to the renewal date. However, I'm wondering if working under an umbrella company for the next six months might be a viable alternative? If I understand correctly, I would effectively be an employee of another company on a short-term contract.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, even if it's to just wait out the next few months to avoid trouble! I don't mind a bit more complexity in my application, but I don't want to hurt our chances of his next visa being granted…

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I've been doing more research to understand what this would mean for us.

I believe that income from an umbrella company would essentially be non-salaried employment. Since we would be applying with a combination of salaried and non-salaried employment, that means applying under Category B. Unfortunately:

Where the person is in non-salaried employment – the level of gross annual employment income relied upon in the application can be no greater than the annual equivalent of the person’s average gross monthly income from non-salaried employment in the 6 months prior to the date of application, regardless of whether that employment was held throughout that period. The calculation will include all non-salaried employment undertaken during that 6 month period, and will be calculated over that 6 month period regardless of how much of that period was spent in employment.
If I understand this correctly: after working my notice, I would only have two to three months' income. With the role I've been offered, three months' income would exceed the requirement, but two months' would not—and I can't start until after my month's notice is finished.

That's a shame, because this job would be a fantastic step forward for us both. I wonder if I've missed something obvious; if not, it looks like I'll need to decline. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understand this correctly: after working my notice, I would only have two to three months' income. With the role I've been offered, three months' income would exceed the requirement, but two months' would not—and I can't start until after my month's notice is finished.
Oh, wait, I fluffed that up! It's not quite so bad as I thought. I forgot that the average over six months is then multiplied over the full year.

Let's say I get a day rate of £350 and work 20 days/month, which works out to £7,000 monthly income. (Minus some fee from the umbrella company.) If I understand correctly, on two months' income, my annual equivalent would be:

(0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 7,000 + 7,000 ÷ 6) × 12
= (14,000 ÷ 6) × 12
= 2,333.33 × 12
= £28,000

Of course, I really, really don't want to get this wrong! :) I'd rather miss out on a good role than create trouble for our next FLR(M). If anyone can spot something I'm missing or could double-check my reasoning, I'd really appreciate it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.