Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Freinds,

I got my PR. I am IT professional. I am looking for jobs in Australia & looks like I might get one contract job opportunity.

What do we need to start contract jobs in Australia? I mean do we need to form a company or go thru third party emplyer to do contract with client etc ? What are the options?

Kindly advice.

Thanks !

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Both are valid options.

If you want to form your own company at the very least you need an ABN (Australian Business Number).

If going through a third party I think all you need is a TFN (Tax File Number).

To get a TFN you apply at the ATO (there is form you need to file). I'm not sure about ABN, might need a legal expert to set you up so you meet all the requirements for a sole contractor.

Hi Freinds,

I got my PR. I am IT professional. I am looking for jobs in Australia & looks like I might get one contract job opportunity.

What do we need to start contract jobs in Australia? I mean do we need to form a company or go thru third party emplyer to do contract with client etc ? What are the options?

Kindly advice.

Thanks !

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi eva-usa,

I had my accountant set up my Pty Ltd company (because I didn't know how to when I moved over here) and you can apply for an ABN online at ABR - Home Page.

It will take you through whether you are entitled to an ABN and other stuff you need to know.

You may find some info at Independent Contractors of Australia too at:
Independent Contractors Australia

They are campaigning for the rights of small businesses and have articles on tax (whether you are taxed as a business or an employee etc.)

My business is slightly different in that I'm working with a client in the UK from home.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi eva-usa,

I had my accountant set up my Pty Ltd company (because I didn't know how to when I moved over here) and you can apply for an ABN online at ABR - Home Page.

It will take you through whether you are entitled to an ABN and other stuff you need to know.

You may find some info at Independent Contractors of Australia too at:
Independent Contractors Australia

They are campaigning for the rights of small businesses and have articles on tax (whether you are taxed as a business or an employee etc.)

My business is slightly different in that I'm working with a client in the UK from home.

Regards,
Karen

Hi Karen / Amaslam,

Appreciate all the information you provided.

In my case I am still in USA & might get this opportunity in Australia. If I get this contract job then I have to join the client immidiately. So if I get the TFN number after landing in to Australi will that be sufficient for me to do this contract job?

How other IT professionals are doing contract jobs ?

thanks,

Eva

1 - 4 of 4 Posts