Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't stopped thinking about living abroad again since studying in London 4 years ago.

I'm 27 and have been working in digital/marketing/entertainment in LA for the last few years.

Really want to live the dream while I don't have as much responsibility, but have had trouble finding a way to move abroad without taking a break from my career.

I've been thinking a lot about Central and South America.

Any tips, good books?

:confused:

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

First of all, have you been to Central or South America? Even while you're still working in the US, you could aim for taking a couple vacations in the areas you're thinking of moving to. That will help you get a better idea of what the job hunting climate might be - and give you a chance to try out your Spanish.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Work on your language skills. You have to be fluent. Start networking within your industry. Get your name out and that you are looking for a move. Get valid information on immigration requirements. Work on your professional skills to polish and expand them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum.

First of all, have you been to Central or South America? Even while you're still working in the US, you could aim for taking a couple vacations in the areas you're thinking of moving to. That will help you get a better idea of what the job hunting climate might be - and give you a chance to try out your Spanish.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks for the reply, I better book soon!

Planning my first trip south sometime during the Christmas/New Years holiday Dec 18 - Jan 4. Possibly Costa Rica or Argentina.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Work on your language skills. You have to be fluent. Start networking within your industry. Get your name out and that you are looking for a move. Get valid information on immigration requirements. Work on your professional skills to polish and expand them.
VERY helpful

Do people usually find something before they move?

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
VERY helpful

Do people usually find something before they move?
I don't have any experience with the countries in South and Central America, but very often it is necessary to have a job lined up if you hope to be eligible for a visa with work privileges. That's to keep the foreigners from taking all the jobs away from locals. (Think about the arguments against immigrants that you hear in the US these days.)

It may be absolutely necessary to have a job lined up before you can move.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts