Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Contact Lenses

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Gary D 
#1 ·
I assume contact lenses are available in the PI? If so, does anybody know the cost?

I've heard from locals that glasses are pricey.

#2 · (Edited)
Yes, contact lenses are available but no idea on cost. The most expensive part of glasses is the frames--no matter where you live. So if you have old frames it is best to save and use here. Lenses for your glasses, like in the US will depend on the Rx. Lenses, even with bifocals normally will cost around $10.00us for the set if they are lenses that they keep in stock. If they order anything special, the lenses can run between $20 and $40us.
Very low cost compared to there...

Reactions: cvgtpc1
#4 ·
Yep, I had new lenses about 5 months ago and used my frames for the third time. So that made my cost for classes (including the exam) P340.00 = $7.90us dollars at current exchange rate. Now, the first part of this month I had double cataract surgery and now need only reading glasses. So will use the frames once again. Most things are quite reasonable in price here.

#8 ·
I just bought my first contacts here last week. I went to Ideal Vision at Harbor Point mall, Subic Bay Freeport. They are an upscale mall chain so their prices may be on the high side.

I didn't want an exam and they sold me just the Ciba Vision Air Optics. I bought 4 boxes. p1650 a box but buy 3 get one free, total p4950, which is about p1238 a box, about $28.70 a box.

I found out afterwards that the exam and fitting are free! I paid about $127 for exam and fitting at Eye Exam 2000 in the US, so when you consider all costs, the contacts may be a bit cheaper. I think, but I am not sure, that I paid about $25 a box last time in the US.

How much do you pay there?

#9 ·
Contacts

I wear the Ciba Vision Air Optix Multifocals and they're $43 a box online. So still a better than the US! Since I'm usually only over a week at a time I wonder if that's enough time to get them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.