Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...........

I have been on the forum for a couple of weeks thus far, and have received some very helpful insight from other expats. I am looking for specific help in locating additional recruiters within the "Construction" industry.

I have over 20 years of construction management experience, and here in the USA I have never even had to look for a position......instead recruiters have sought me out. So I really don't want to spend hours reading through job postings. I would rather deal directly with a recruiter who is looking out for mine as well as his/her interests.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Greg

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Good luck with that.

If you find someone who operates like that in Dubai, keep them a secret as they really don't happen very often as there are way too many advertised jobs and way too many 'agencies'. You'll have to do the legwork IMO, as agencies have a habit of advertising each others jobs and lobbing CV's at companies - most of whom already advertise the roles on their websites, so the squabble starts over who gets the fee (if anyone). Its similar to the estate/real estate agent situation here.

God luck but tbh you would be better off using your US contacts and seeing if their clients have open UAE positions and going that route.

That said, you could do well to try applying direct to Bectel, Atkins, Hills and others but like so many other companies, they get 1,000's of CV's a day so don't expect the same type of reaction as you would get in the USA.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hello all...........

I have been on the forum for a couple of weeks thus far, and have received some very helpful insight from other expats. I am looking for specific help in locating additional recruiters within the "Construction" industry.

I have over 20 years of construction management experience, and here in the USA I have never even had to look for a position......instead recruiters have sought me out. So I really don't want to spend hours reading through job postings. I would rather deal directly with a recruiter who is looking out for mine as well as his/her interests.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Greg
Lane is the only contractor in the UAE I have met with US managers off of the top of my head. And the previous advice is good with a target towards your specialty.

Is you area roads, railways or buildings? Look at the contractors that just won the new Dubai-Abu Dhabi road or the expansion of the Gweifat-Mufrak hiway, railway round II will get awarded soon as well. Can't help much with the vertical stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for your input so far!! My career has all been in vertical construction/buildings.

I probably made the process in the states sound to good......some of the same issues persist here. I just have never had to look for a position, recruiters actually came to me.

Again I appreciate all of your input!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
'Gulf' or 'UAE' experience is usually a pre-requisite for many of the Senior Site Management positions.
Many developers expect to interview the management of their contractors, and from my experience, local experience is one of the first questions..

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
'Gulf' or 'UAE' experience is usually a pre-requisite for many of the Senior Site Management positions. Many developers expect to interview the management of their contractors, and from my experience, local experience is one of the first questions..
That's exactly right and also the site teams can change quite often if they decide they no longer want a particular member of staff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts