Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we will make the move soon to a new life in France. We are looking at Dordogne or Lot. well, they are favourite anyway.
I am a roofer and lead worker by trade and run a company in the UK. I was wondering if need called what are the opportunities for finding part time work there?

Cheers

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
What are you planning in terms of supporting yourselves in France? Finding "pick up" or part time work in France normally requires some sort of formal registration - for social insurances and such at the very least. If you'll be living from profits from your company in the UK, be careful how you set things up as the taxes and social charges can vary, depending on whether you're receiving "dividends" or other sorts of investment income.

And, as always, how is your French? You'll need that not only if and when you need to find part time work, but in general just to deal with administrative matters.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My French is pretty good. I have been learning for three years. I was planning to receive an income from my business in the UK - but nothing is guaranteed of course.
We will have other income to invest after selling property in the UK also.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Some points which may be helpful;

As Bev says artisans need certificates, insurance to be a bona fide worker. Anything less is risky.

From my experience French building techniques, tools, materials, cultures etc are very different from the UK. May or may not apply to your trade. Be prepared for differences.

Couvreurs seem to be in demand in France. I've got a distant French relative who is in the business - his only complaint it that he has too much work.

You could TRY offering to work for free for a couvreur for a month - not only to learn the Fr techniques and vocabulary, but to understand how the overall business works. I don't know how it would work out, a couvreur is unlikely to make you an employee since it's difficult to get rid of employees. And maybe there's an insurance problem with non employees on site...don't know? I would have thought an investment of a few beers etc at a bar where builders meet might be a good idea? I've heard that some artisans are fed up with immigrants offering to work for nearly nothing (on black), so you may have some resistance;

As always, ask your Mairie and neighbours for the names of good couvreurs......that's gives you a start...and that counts in France.

If you have C&G etc it might be worth searching the internet to see the equivalence in France and whether it's directly translatable. You will almost certainly be asked at some point.

DejW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been a roofer since the 70s here in the UK and have a reputable business. Was no need for certificates back in the day.

I certainly would not want to be an employee as that somewhat defeats the goal of the move as I run the company here. I was thinking more along the lines of working for myself or some kind of sub contract. All above radar of course.

I think my question has been answered on here and thanks.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Understand! However, France today is not like the UK today, let alone in the distant 1970s.

By suggesting you work with a couvreur I was hinting that WHAT you may need a quick update on how things work in France. HOW you get that update is another matter!

Anyway, good luck and I it all goes well.

DejW

I've been a roofer since the 70s here in the UK and have a reputable business. Was no need for certificates back in the day.

...snip.....

I.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts