Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,282 Posts
Complacency will kill me

mccalleyboy thanks for the warning. At the moment we are ok for yaya because we know the girl. But she will be leaving us soon as she is a college grad and deserves to be in a better job than this. We will try to be careful about what happens next.

Sounds like you had a very narrow escape yourself. Seems like disaster can strike out of nowhere, so you are very lucky.

Richard
You have to be vigilant at all times, never let your guard down, I got complacent and I'll never ever let that happen again. :fingerscrossed:

To heck with the sales and good deals, going to carry my grandson next time, I'm not so happy with my daughter either but it was she that noticed someone was leading him away, she got complacent to. :bolt:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Nowadays we try to get our DH from a different island province, preferably someone without local family. Our current maid has been with us nearly 2 years now, and we trust her to look after the place when we are not around. The downside of her being from a different island is that we have to provide her with a return ticket to her home province at new year time, but I consider that a small cost for peace of mind. Finding a good yaya is more problematic though, since our child could potentially suffer if we make a bad choice. We just have to go through a period of vigilance whenever we bring in someone new, until we get to know the person better.

Richard
Our two yaya are also from different island

One more thing, if your yaya has Facebook warn them not to post any pictures of your family

They like to post and one of our former maid, instead of trying to educate her the perils, specially since she has many strangers she never met, in her Facebook, knowing education will go nowhere, gave her two month salary and sent her away.

Be careful!!!

Even in low crime areas kids get kidnapped and rarely have many kids been recovered and the culprits rarely faced the music when caught ...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Even when you are watching anything can happen, my son leads a charmed life and wouldn't be here if not for quick reflexes on my part a couple times when he was a little guy.

My wife wants to bring our small grandkids to visit sometime and I tell her no way until they're grown. They're a quarter mestizo/a and too cute to take the chance imo. Maybe paranoid but they can wait to go. Besides grandpa doesn't want to carry little kids thru the PI lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings to all!

My fiance - a Filipino-American - and I spent 3 weeks vacationing in The Philippines (PI) during the month of March. During this time, her family toured us through several residential areas (i.e., Taguig, Makati, etc.) just outside of Metro Manila.

Since returning to the US, we've begun discussing the possibility of retiring to The Philippines (PI). She and I are in our 50's and expect to retire within 5 to 7 years.

One should never base relocating on the whims of one prolonged vacation. However, after staying at a few houses and condos outside Metro Manila it is fair to conclude that relocating/retiring to PI (at least on the surface) is quite possible . . . assuming we're able to resolve two issues of concern.

Our main concern is healthcare. What would be the cost of high quality health insurance for a couple in their 60's? I've even heard that health insurance for someone over age 60 is unavailable. I've yet to confirm this.

Our second concern is the possibility of finding part time employment at our age. She and I woudl both like to have some form of PT work, more out of desire than need. We cannot conceive getting up and having nothing to do 7 days per week.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you kindly.
My wife and I have decided to make the move and are doing our homework. The best Healthcare insurance we have come upon so far is Blue Cross Philippines (not associated with Blue Cross USA) There are several plans available. I think the 'Dollar" denominated plans are the best, and because I am 69, I am only eligible to join Blue Royal Premier. <Snip> The prices seem reasonable.
CAteacher

·
Registered
3 Posts
Insurance?

My wife and I have decided to make the move and are doing our homework. The best Healthcare insurance we have come upon so far is Blue Cross Philippines (not associated with Blue Cross USA) There are several plans available. I think the 'Dollar" denominated plans are the best, and because I am 69, I am only eligible to join Blue Royal Premier. <Snip> The prices seem reasonable.
CAteacher

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
CAteacher
Hey ol' man,,,, Good to see you over here on Expat Forum. Now I can have fun
harassing you a bit :bump2:..

You're sure to get loads of info here on your upcoming move.

Jet Lag
Gene..

·
Registered
44 Posts
I didn't read all of the post about medical treatment but people from Guam, if not eligible for health care at the Navy Hospital, usually fly to Manila, St Lukes or Medical City for treatment. They are about to finish a new hospital in Guam that is associated with a Filipino health association (maybe it is Medical City). I just retired from from Guam, 7 years there, St Lukes seems to be the choice of the health insurance providers on island for any advanced or executive health care. My 2cents worth.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
This is a much more sophisticated layout that that other site. There is a lot to see and learn here. Thank you for the tip about Expat Forum and your greeting.
Glad you're enjoying the site. Bob Sheth, the site founder had a great vision with this and several other sites based on the same kind of set-up.

On the insurance issue; there are many companies here and abroad that will sell anything - including medical insurance. The biggest issue here in the Philippines is in an emergency situation there is not time to get to your chosen hospital possibly or to even be close enough to it.
Regardless of insurance coverage, most all hospitals expect and require a cash payment and reimbursement from insurance is *your* responsibility. They do not bill insurance providers.
Point here is that one needs a pretty hefty amount held in a reserve bank account for such instances.
In some places in country, hospitals will allow someone to die on the sidewalk outside unless or until they pay a P10,000 down payment. Sad situation but true..

Another needful thing is when moving here is to bring along a complete set of medical history and records. Doctors and hospitals here will not request them from another doctor as they do in our home countries.

Reactions: UltraFJ40
61 - 70 of 70 Posts