Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
I would check the LBC website and see if they do the large boxes from Thai to PI. Also Forex. For sure there ha as to be a shipping company that covers the route using the boxes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi!
I saw that logo LBC in Phils never thought it would do international shipping. I'll check it out.
Forex? Aren't they in the business of currency transactions?
Have you had any experience (or reference of others) using LBC for shipping?
Obviously that by cargo ship it will take a good month for my belongings to arrive in Manila. That is OK because it will give me time to find a temporary, suitable place in Manila. Although I do not intend to settle in Manila.
I thank you for your kind reply to my post.
Be well and happy
Ricky

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Hi!
I saw that logo LBC in Phils never thought it would do international shipping. I'll check it out.
Forex? Aren't they in the business of currency transactions?
Have you had any experience (or reference of others) using LBC for shipping?
Obviously that by cargo ship it will take a good month for my belongings to arrive in Manila. That is OK because it will give me time to find a temporary, suitable place in Manila. Although I do not intend to settle in Manila.
I thank you for your kind reply to my post.
Be well and happy
Ricky
Looking at the LBC website, I'm not sure if they service Thailand or not. However, my understanding is that in places where they do not have branches they have a contract with DHL Freight services.

I don't think LBC ships large shipping containers. Usually just boxes so far as I know. I have used this company several times and have always had good luck. Shipping has always been fast and nothing broken...

Reactions: Nickleback99

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi !
Thank you for your kind reply.
You are right about LBC not having offices/agents in Thailand. The website shows many countries but not Thailand.
I do not need to ship a large container. 2 or 3 of the usual Filipino boxes will most likely serve my purpose.
However, DHL to my knowledge ships air only. But I will check your link DHL freight.
After 6 years in Thailand the time has come for me to understand that this culture is not inclusive and that I feel more affinity with the Filipino way of life, culture and history.
I will report any positive results I get after contacting DHL Freight.
Thanks again.
Be well and happy
Ricky

·
Registered
563 Posts
Site is lil confusing as surfing it on my android phone. Google indicated lbc shipping from Thailand, and its a choice of country on their web site, but then just "sits" there when hit go. I figired you only need boxes fir what you described, which does go by ship. Same from U.S. we used some Forex shipping recently to send a large BBK box to family in PI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am wondering if the new FATCA law slated to go into effect on July 1 is causing problems for Americans who bank in Phil. I am in Mexico now, where some banks are balking because of the reporting requirements being imposed by the US government. I am assuming this law will affect expatriots around the world, but am looking forward to hearing directly whether people are being haunted by this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry I am late to the party but LBC does NOT have an agent in Thailand. I just called Manila after reading your post. The customer service rep informed me that "as of now there are no offices in Thailand". :(

Supposedly they are bargaining with government officials in Vietnam and are trying to get into the neighborhood but that'll probably take another year (or more).

My wife is an LBC agent and I can attest that using the new website is entertaining but not in a good way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ultra J40: Thank you for your input.
Hi Nickleback99! I have been doing that Google search (including Forex Freight) but it seems that Thailand is not part of the commercial world anymore. I am not talking about the recent events. All the dozens of messages I sent have not been answered so far.
The 63 million people in this country are smug and quite Xenophobic. They pride themselves in having foreign investment (bring your money in but only take out what we allow. No foreigners can own land: except Americans up to a couple of acres: but the process is an endless road of hoops and bribes to officials, and, lastly: their refusal to learn any languages: that includes English. Never mind that English is the official language of ASEAN.
It is no surprise that many companies prefer to stay away from Thailand nowadays.
I will continue searching and trying.
If I should get any positive results I will post it here for the benefit of others in the same situation.
Thanks again
Be well and happy
Pisico (AKA: Ricky)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sure thing Best of luck! At least when you make the move, corruption or graft money to get anything done won't be new to you then. Really, that is simply endemic to the third world it seems...unfortunately. .

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks UltraFJ40 !
Indeed there is good info that I will follow up tomorrow. That may be where I will find the solution to shipping my personal belongings. I will let you know what I found.
Be well and happy
pisico (AKA Ricky)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Greetings to all!

My fiance - a Filipino-American - and I spent 3 weeks vacationing in The Philippines (PI) during the month of March. During this time, her family toured us through several residential areas (i.e., Taguig, Makati, etc.) just outside of Metro Manila.

Since returning to the US, we've begun discussing the possibility of retiring to The Philippines (PI). She and I are in our 50's and expect to retire within 5 to 7 years.

One should never base relocating on the whims of one prolonged vacation. However, after staying at a few houses and condos outside Metro Manila it is fair to conclude that relocating/retiring to PI (at least on the surface) is quite possible . . . assuming we're able to resolve two issues of concern.

Our main concern is healthcare. What would be the cost of high quality health insurance for a couple in their 60's? I've even heard that health insurance for someone over age 60 is unavailable. I've yet to confirm this.

Our second concern is the possibility of finding part time employment at our age. She and I woudl both like to have some form of PT work, more out of desire than need. We cannot conceive getting up and having nothing to do 7 days per week.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thank you kindly.
I had a look into jobs over there, almost impossible for you to get one and if, the money is not worth it. We will start our own business as it is much easier there than here in Australia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Retirement

I understand you can get health insurance over 60ys but it is very expensive and not all hospitals take it. You being American are luckier than us Kiwi's as you can fly cheaply to Guam and get treatment there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree with mcalley boy about hiring local maids. We had one maid who turned out to be a thief. She didn't steal anything from our house, but whenever we visited my asawa's family, their stuff (clothes, shoes, cellphones) would disappear, piece by piece. Eventually we saw the pattern, and made her open her luggage which revealed her treasure trove.

Family members as maids can have their problems too. We had one relative who always filled her bag with coffee sachets whenever she went back home. We didn't have a confrontation with her or her parents though, since it was fairly trivial. Just found an excuse not to keep her on.

Nowadays we try to get our DH from a different island province, preferably someone without local family. Our current maid has been with us nearly 2 years now, and we trust her to look after the place when we are not around. The downside of her being from a different island is that we have to provide her with a return ticket to her home province at new year time, but I consider that a small cost for peace of mind. Finding a good yaya is more problematic though, since our child could potentially suffer if we make a bad choice. We just have to go through a period of vigilance whenever we bring in someone new, until we get to know the person better.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
Red flags with the Yaya

I agree with mcalley boy about hiring local maids. We had one maid who turned out to be a thief. She didn't steal anything from our house, but whenever we visited my asawa's family, their stuff (clothes, shoes, cellphones) would disappear, piece by piece. Eventually we saw the pattern, and made her open her luggage which revealed her treasure trove.

Family members as maids can have their problems too. We had one relative who always filled her bag with coffee sachets whenever she went back home. We didn't have a confrontation with her or her parents though, since it was fairly trivial. Just found an excuse not to keep her on.

Nowadays we try to get our DH from a different island province, preferably someone without local family. Our current maid has been with us nearly 2 years now, and we trust her to look after the place when we are not around. The downside of her being from a different island is that we have to provide her with a return ticket to her home province at new year time, but I consider that a small cost for peace of mind. Finding a good yaya is more problematic though, since our child could potentially suffer if we make a bad choice. We just have to go through a period of vigilance whenever we bring in someone new, until we get to know the person better.

Richard
Richard be careful the Yaya's get severly attached to your most cherish loved one and they're the ones that take him. It might be best to use a family member for this, those outside the family have so many hidden places and dissappear its seems off the planet and they take your child.

Almost lost my grandson today at the market.... we found a really, really discounted store of course they had a huge sale out front with the Yuki-yuki clothes 5 peso's each so everyone lost focus, next thing you know some lady has got my grandson hand and walking away, OMG :eek:, I can't live without him :help:, after that I dropped everything and picked up my 3 year old grandson and held him till we left, my wife had to grab my 10 year old son for the same reason.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Richard be careful the Yaya's get severly attached to your most cherish loved one and they're the ones that take him. It might be best to use a family member for this, those outside the family have so many hidden places and dissappear its seems off the planet and they take your child.

Almost lost my grandson today at the market.... we found a really, really discounted store of course they had a huge sale out front with the Yuki-yuki clothes 5 peso's each so everyone lost focus, next thing you know some lady has got my grandson hand and walking away, OMG :eek:, I can't live without him :help:, after that I dropped everything and picked up my 3 year old grandson and held him till we left, my wife had to grab my 10 year old son for the same reason.
You're really--REALLY lucky to have seen the event and able to intervene. It takes only a second for something to happen or go wrong. These **people** are just looking for opportunities like this. Kids are taken every day. Some sold, some put into slavery, and yet others held for ransom.
This is especially true when the locals see a child in the care and custody of a foreign parent or family member.

The Yaya scenario is or can be a threat as you said. It may not be the maid or the yaya--but they all have family and in more cases than not, most families have a black sheep that can end up being a real threat.

Living here long term can have a bad effect on us when nothing happens for a long time and we let our guard down for just a second.

Reactions: M.C.A.

·
Registered
79 Posts
mccalleyboy thanks for the warning. At the moment we are ok for yaya because we know the girl. But she will be leaving us soon as she is a college grad and deserves to be in a better job than this. We will try to be careful about what happens next.

Sounds like you had a very narrow escape yourself. Seems like disaster can strike out of nowhere, so you are very lucky.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
3,274 Posts
Can't live without my Grandson

You're really--REALLY lucky to have seen the event and able to intervene. It takes only a second for something to happen or go wrong. These **people** are just looking for opportunities like this. Kids are taken every day. Some sold, some put into slavery, and yet others held for ransom.
This is especially true when the locals see a child in the care and custody of a foreign parent or family member.

The Yaya scenario is or can be a threat as you said. It may not be the maid or the yaya--but they all have family and in more cases than not, most families have a black sheep that can end up being a real threat.

Living here long term can have a bad effect on us when nothing happens for a long time and we let our guard down for just a second.
Yea...I can't live without my grandson, he's my joy and pain at the same time, he does speak English and he's only 3. Sorry for slow responses my internet was shut down for a couple days...till I paid my bills...LOL, man this billing thing is confusing.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts