Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to you all - I am here hoping for some info. I am posting while I review the countless positings on the site.

I've had an opportunity open up to move to JoBurg with my current employer (a financial services firm) working as an IT manager. I'm in the unfortunate position of not knowing what a decent wage in SA would be. I currently make about GBP80K base a year (plus a 30% bonus over the last 2 years). The base equates to about R1million at today's rate. Would that be a reasonable sum for a family of 5 people (the 3 kids are below the age of 6 - will need a nanny, too) to live comfortably?
Are there places that I can guage my equivalent role and salary to compare with my peers? I have had a look around, but information on SA pay packages is vague.

Thank you much,

Mike
--
Dare to succeed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Greetings to you all - I am here hoping for some info. I am posting while I review the countless positings on the site.

I've had an opportunity open up to move to JoBurg with my current employer (a financial services firm) working as an IT manager. I'm in the unfortunate position of not knowing what a decent wage in SA would be. I currently make about GBP80K base a year (plus a 30% bonus over the last 2 years). The base equates to about R1million at today's rate. Would that be a reasonable sum for a family of 5 people (the 3 kids are below the age of 6 - will need a nanny, too) to live comfortably?
Are there places that I can guage my equivalent role and salary to compare with my peers? I have had a look around, but information on SA pay packages is vague.

Thank you much,

Mike
--
Dare to succeed
Hi Mike,

The salary you ar getting in the UK, are much higher then in the SA. But of course that is up to you and your employer.
The salary here are between ZAR 300.000,- and ZAR 500.000,- for IT.
The salary for a live in Nanny are not that hight as in the UK. Go see All About Domestic workers — Department of Labour

or You & your domestic/ 'madam' - SouthAfrica.info

good luck!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Thank you much,

Mike
--
Dare to succeed

Don't do it

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
But cost of living in UK is far higher than in SA.

Quality of life is much better in SA
Based on what....? If you want to insure your BMW and have good healthcare coupled with exorbitant electricity prices all based on your salary for a similar job I feel you would be found wanting..... Saying something does not make it true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts