Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I am 30 yrs old, currently training to be a nurse, and my husband is a Senior Quantity Surveyor he is 33 in April. We have 3 young children, 7, 6 & 4 yrs.

We have considered emigrating for a number of years, but last year we had a tough year which ended in us having a 3 month serparation after 11 years together. During our time apart I realised just how little my family supported me, and now I know that I could leave (it was what put me off before). My husband and I are now stronger than ever and even more determined to emigrate and live for ourselves. We have nothing keeping us here I guess. I would miss my mum and siblings, but they do not support me when I really need them and my children are not very close to them anymore, I also do not rely on anyone for help.

I have family in Brisbane, from my Mums side. So I am swaying towards that part of Australia but can I say what I am looking for and could someone point me in the direction of the best areas to look at?

Warm all year pretty much, I would prefer not to have cold winter temps (had enough here in the UK recently, lol) Not too humid though, as it would be a nightmare with the children.

I would like to leave near the coast, doesn't have to be right near the sea but nearish.

Good schools and a good area for work.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you:):tongue1:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi

Hi,

We also live in Cheshire, 3 kids, we're moving in a few months time (if we manage to sell our house) to Queensland.
Hubby has family in Brisbane, Townsville and a few other places over there.

Our Children are 7 and 3 and a haf year old twins.

Hubby is Brit/Aussie, I'm Portuguese, and we already have few relatives around, so we know we can handle the separation, and keep contact through Skype etc...
We intend to return every other year for Christmas (Kids summer holidays).

I think you both have "wanted down under jobs" and you'll be fine.

Check the thread about the series, they already had a family looking at Brissie and a family with the same job as your hubby (I think).

There is a few threads here regarding areas.
It really depends on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for.

Busyte

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI,

Thank you for your reply.

Ohh, where abouts are you? We are near Chester.

Good luck to you, I hope the move goes well for you. Has it taken you long to organise the move?

I guess we want somewhere which is not too rural, near shops/town, not far from a beach (shortish drive away), good schools, good job prospects, relaxing lifestyle but plenty to do in the area:) Just somewhere the children can have the best upbringing possible, lots of outdoor life:) but also somewhere I can hit the shops:p

Hi,

We also live in Cheshire, 3 kids, we're moving in a few months time (if we manage to sell our house) to Queensland.
Hubby has family in Brisbane, Townsville and a few other places over there.

Our Children are 7 and 3 and a haf year old twins.

Hubby is Brit/Aussie, I'm Portuguese, and we already have few relatives around, so we know we can handle the separation, and keep contact through Skype etc...
We intend to return every other year for Christmas (Kids summer holidays).

I think you both have "wanted down under jobs" and you'll be fine.

Check the thread about the series, they already had a family looking at Brissie and a family with the same job as your hubby (I think).

There is a few threads here regarding areas.
It really depends on what kind of lifestyle you're looking for.

Busyte

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Libby,

Try doing a search on Brisbane since it's a popular destination but I believe that it can be humid - I've not been there so I can't talk from personal experience.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi and welcome,

Not been to oz but ive asked similar questions to yours and ive come to decide on adelaide or surrounding suburbs i think they call em!
henley beach is said to be a nice area,with erm...the beach...!
im told the temp dousnt go down too far in winter in adelaide, i posted a thread about weather, think i called it "where in australia for the best all round weather"....or something
i was told the further north you go, the more humid and tropical the heat.... though some areas on the south coast hit the minus in temps in winter....im not going there to get cold hands i can tell you that lol!:eek:
if you type in good schools in the search box theres lots of info, depends on what you want really and i dont think i no wat i want yet....(prob wont till we get there) other than to be away from here!

We have family in new south wales, though its not influencing my move, as i feel i dont know them well enough to ask for any help, i hadnt even spoken to them untill a yr ago,as i knew nothing other than my nan had a sister over there) but i just feel that its my move.... for my family and that we should do it independant of anyone already there (advise accepted of course) i have made contacts through this forum i would be happy to ask advise from!
:love:

good luck finding your answers
Claire:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI,

I am 30 yrs old, currently training to be a nurse, and my husband is a Senior Quantity Surveyor he is 33 in April. We have 3 young children, 7, 6 & 4 yrs.

We have considered emigrating for a number of years, but last year we had a tough year which ended in us having a 3 month serparation after 11 years together. During our time apart I realised just how little my family supported me, and now I know that I could leave (it was what put me off before). My husband and I are now stronger than ever and even more determined to emigrate and live for ourselves. We have nothing keeping us here I guess. I would miss my mum and siblings, but they do not support me when I really need them and my children are not very close to them anymore, I also do not rely on anyone for help.

I have family in Brisbane, from my Mums side. So I am swaying towards that part of Australia but can I say what I am looking for and could someone point me in the direction of the best areas to look at?

Warm all year pretty much, I would prefer not to have cold winter temps (had enough here in the UK recently, lol) Not too humid though, as it would be a nightmare with the children.

I would like to leave near the coast, doesn't have to be right near the sea but nearish.

Good schools and a good area for work.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you:):tongue1:
I completely under stand where your coming from, I too could move away tomorrow given the familys help or indeed interest in meeting up together.
I also have three children, my wife and I say it must be them that keep them away. lol.

Good luck
Dave.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are considering Perth or Brisbane. We have some family/friends in both areas, hmmmmm. Tough decision. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are considering Perth or Brisbane. We have some family/friends in both areas, hmmmmm. Tough decision. Any thoughts?
No I haven't moved yet. I'm in the process of gaining my Visa. As to where to live, that would all depend on where I could land a job. If I was lucky enough to have a choice then I would probabily head for the East coast, although I have a brother inlaw 4hrs North of Perth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HI,

hi Libby,
Althiugh I am completely new to this site myself and am looking for
alot of answers to alot of questions myself...I have recently come back from a trip to Brisbane, which was a fantastic city, weather fab (although was hot), very cosmo;poitan etc...but like you we would like to live closer to the coast..have you thought about Hervey Bay..its about four hours drive from Brisbane (would that be too far?)
I thought it was breathtakingly beautiful as was wolulaba

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohh thanks, I shall take a look.

I am thinking Brisbane or Perth, finally narrowed it down;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ohh thanks, I shall take a look.

I am thinking Brisbane or Perth, finally narrowed it down;-)
Hi Libby

I have lived in both Perth and Brisbane for a short while on a working holiday. In my opinion they are very different. We found Perth was quiet and more family orientated and Brisbane more for young people, I am sure there are a lot of suburbs for families too in Brissy. We were almost bored in Perth and found more to do in and around Brisbane. However as we loved Brisbane so much we are headed there even though we do want to have kids. When they grow up there will be more nightlife and entertainment than in Perth.

The city is bigger and there are other large towns near Brisbane so I am sure job prospects would be better and higher paid? In Perth the next nearest large town was miles and miles away and had a smaller population than my village in England and had a sand road running through. Although your occupation may well be more in demand in WA. Is the property cheaper in WA?

It will depend on the lifestyle you want to lead.

The weather is very different too!

PM me if you want to ask me anything

RK

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Libby,

Also keep in mind, Brisbane is humid, since you mentioned, you do not want to go to a very humid place. Perth isnt as humid but it is warm almost through the year.

Cheers
Anj

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your help.

I really do fancy Perth, but then I think we may be quite isolated there. We like the outdoor life, beach, parks etc... we have 3 children (7, 6 & 4) but think maybe in time they woudl become abit bored maybe? Brisbane is closer to so much more, all that puts me off is the humidity, lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts