Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are considering a move to Australia and I have a few qeustions which I hope someone can help me answer.

Is it realistic to think I will be able to find a job in australia from the UK or will I need to move first? (I am an aerospace structural engineer).
From my research most of the aerospace industry seems to be based in Victoria/NSW. What are the job prospects there for my wife, who is a secondary school teacher? And if we were thinking of moving around this time next year, when should I start looking for a job?

Many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi DMcam,

Teaching jobs are plenty. There are AD is the Age & the Heraldsun for Melbourne. The SMH for Sydney. Most jobs are contract few years then review.

Your engineer job is not really promising at this time in economic cycle. Qantas has just reduced its workforce and all big R&D companies had do the same in the last 2 years . If you have a job now, then if I were you I stay in UK unless you are a really social networker or know someone can help you pass the door..

Living cost for both would easily be $1800-2000 eg food, bills, insurance, accommodation 1 bedroom, eating out once a week and No car. Food will be way way cheaper compare to UK. Local Restaurants are plenty and much cheaper. Melbourne and Sydney are beautiful. Sydney rains too much, bad traffic congestion but very wonderful in Summer. Melbourne is more livable.

Our family has Nando meal in UK cost us $68 compare $37 in Melbourne.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.