Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I am considering a move to London beginning in June 2015. I am a contract graphic designer and have already secured a job with current employer through that time. My boyfriend is a software developer and has also been given the "green light" from his boss to make the move since he already works remotely.

So, we're very much in the beginning stages of discussing this, but I am so overwhelmed with trying to figure out if we can even get a VISA to live there for a year. Can anyone help? I'm posting in the UK forum because that would be the easiest transition for us, but we'd also be interested in a move to Switzerland or Germany, and I realize the rules are different for each country.

Long story short? Both of us have jobs (from US employers) but want to live abroad for at least a year. Can we do it?

Any help people can give me would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
You can't work in the UK without a visa. It doesn't matter that you can work remotely or from home. You'd both need to find employers to sponsor you for Tier 2 work visas. Unless your jobs are on the shortage occupation list it's extremely difficult for an employer to sponsor you. First, they must prove that there is no one in the UK or EU who can fill the position. That's 500 million people. So, unless you have some extraordinary and sought after talent, it's unlikely that you'll qualify for a Tier 2 visa.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Alternative is Tier 2 intra-company transfer visa, but there must be a UK presence for your employer such as a branch or subsidiary where you will be posted to, which is also a registered sponsor with the Home Office. Working remotely for your US employer in US while living in UK won't be permitted.
I don't know if there is a way of doing this while living in Switzerland (unlikely as they have one of the toughest immigration laws known to mankind) and Germany.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.