Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, my husband and I were talking about all the immigration formalities that I have to do my first year. He was stating how crazy it seemed and then I told him to wait until he had to come with me to the prefecture to renew my titre de sejour -not stating that its hard but he would have the jolly good time of accompanying me to this every year until I get a 10 year residency permit. He asked if I knew what prefecture I would go to. I told him that I thought it was nogent-sur-marne sous-prefecture. He then said that he thought I would go to the one in creteil.

We jumped online to look. Well, that confused us even more and now we're both not sure which prefecture is the one I go to for renewal.

We went here on the val-de-marne website: Etrangers en France / Démarches administratives / Accueil - Les services de l'État dans le Val de Marne

It then shows a list of little towns and which prefectures foreigners are to use.
Vincennes is listed under nogent-sur-marne. So, we were directed to another site.
This one: Sous-préfecture de Nogent sur Marne / Préfecture et sous-préfectures / Services de l'état / Accueil - Les services de l'État dans le Val de Marne

Well, there isn't anything on that part of the website related to foreigners or for making appointment.

So, we came across this page: Etrangers en France / Formulaires en ligne / Démarches administratives / Accueil - Les services de l'État dans le Val de Marne

It list different things and documents, blah blah.
We took a look at the 'demande de rendez-vous pour un titre de sejour' which states, "Les demandes de rendez-vous pour un titre de séjour s’effectuent
les lundi, mardi, jeudi et vendredi de 09h00 à 15h00 et le mercredi de 09h00."
Renewal paper: http://www.val-de-marne.gouv.fr/content/download/8170/56592/file/Demande de rendez-vous accueil.pdf

The address on the paper is for Creteil...but I thought we would deal with nogent-sur-marne.

I then found this website: Nogent-sur-Marne : Services préfectoraux

If you scroll down you can see that it says renewals are done through the mail...

So...who the heck do we talk to or what do we look at to know if we go to creteil or nogent-sur-marne? If it is creteil, do we seriously have to go to the prefecture to get an appointment? If it is nogent-sur-marne...then what in the hell do we do?

Sorry if I seem flustered and confused but I would actually like to figure this out soon so we're not running around to the wrong places next year. I realize that our schedules are both going to be insane starting in September. So while my hubby has time off soon, we're sitting down to deal with the Social Security thing this month before we go on vacation to Portugal and visiting his family.

Mystery...mystery everywhere!

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
IIRC, your visa started in April or thereabouts, so you're not due to renew your titre de séjour until January or February of 2016 at the earliest. (Oh, and just by the by, you have to have completed your language and other classes, too.)

I know you "like" to worry about these things. <bg> But seriously, the whole procedure could change between now and next year - at the prefecture or just in general. Wait until at least December/January to start trying to nail down what you have to do. (And save up all those certificates from your classes and the OFII visit in the meantime!)

One of the first big adjustments you have to make in living here in France is to learn to just wait it out. There is literally nothing you can do until the very end of the year - and at that point, you can go and ask what the procedure is at that time.

Frankly, the notion that they are starting to handle this sort of thing by mail is a real positive sign. More and more of the prefectures seem to be going this route and if yours follows suit, you could be in luck. Worst possible case, you mail in your stuff and they return it to you, telling you what you should do instead. Happens all the time, and it seems to be just us "furriners" who get all jazzed about the "rejection."

Also, most natives tend to avoid interactions with the Administration as much as possible, so when the French marry a furriner they "suddenly" can't avoid this stuff any more. This, too, shall pass. Meanwhile, take care of the Sécu stuff and enjoy your vacation.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Agree with Bev - things will change between now and early 2016. Simplification is underway. Closer to the time, just go and ask at the Prefecture or sous-Prefecture that is most convenient to where you live (after you've done an internet check to see whether it can be done online or via mail).

Get your health cover sorted, enjoy your holiday and forget about administration matters for the summer months.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know I worry. One of the main reasons at the moment is so that I can exchange my drivers license since it's from one of the exchangeable states (thankfully). At the OFII I was told I can start the process after being here for 6 months and this was confirmed by many other expats I spoke with. So, I definitely want to do that and therefore I need to know which Préfecture I deal with.

Back to the renewing of the titre de séjour...
I've seen some articles online about the Nogent sur marne sous-préfecture... And they aren't good. Asking for 12 months worth of banks statements in a joint account and letters from neighbors stating that they have seen us together. Even asking for a birth certificate with "marriage" stated on it... Even though that isn't possible for me.

This list was shared from others online who have been there.

So, these are the reasons why we're trying to figure who I go to so I can exchange my license when the time comes and what to expect around renewal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for dealing with my "I need to know now" questions. I've been like that since I first started University. Always doing work in advance, study way ahead of everyone, and completing classes a month before each semester was over. I know France takes patience but I'm also trying to keep my husband and I sane in this first confusing year, lol.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
The sites are confusing, but reading a little more carefully:

*Nogent doesn't do either carte de sejour applications or foreign licence exchange.
*For the CDS you will need to download the information/form, but the site says you should also make an appointment (at Creteil) to discuss your application and for advice on what documents you need to provide.

Hope that helps.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Back to the renewing of the titre de séjour...
I've seen some articles online about the Nogent sur marne sous-préfecture... And they aren't good. Asking for 12 months worth of banks statements in a joint account and letters from neighbors stating that they have seen us together. Even asking for a birth certificate with "marriage" stated on it... Even though that isn't possible for me.
That's for the first Titre de Sejour - which you already have. Your next application will actually be for a Carte de Sejour.

If you're really worried, just go to the main Prefecture.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The sites are confusing, but reading a little more carefully:

*Nogent doesn't do either carte de sejour applications or foreign licence exchange.
*For the CDS you will need to download the information/form, but the site says you should also make an appointment (at Creteil) to discuss your application and for advice on what documents you need to provide.

Hope that helps.

Ah, really? Where did you see that at? The sites really are confusing. I couldn't understand where to navigate.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Oops - just remembered you haven't completed your Ofii stuff - I believe you will get your TDS stamp in your passport once you have finished that. Bev or others will be able to clarify. But it is a CDS you will be applying for around Feb next year.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oops - just remembered you haven't completed your Ofii stuff - I believe you will get your TDS stamp in your passport once you have finished that. Bev or others will be able to clarify. But it is a CDS you will be applying for around Feb next year.
Oh, I actually got my sticker and stamp already, I just haven't complete the French civics courses nor have I started the French classes yet. I take my test on Monday to see how many hours I need. :fingerscrossed:

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Oh, I actually got my sticker and stamp already, I just haven't complete the French civics courses nor have I started the French classes yet. I take my test on Monday to see how many hours I need. :fingerscrossed:
OK, so that's your TDS. Next year you will get the card (CDS).

Good luck for Monday - I'm sure you will be just fine.

Now, enjoy your summer - you are, after all, still newly weds!

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
I thought you had done your OFII appointment and were just waiting on the language evaluation. In any event, they should generally tell you at the OFII visit where to apply for your CDS renewal. HOWEVER - these things change all the time. You seriously need to wait until a month or two before you are able to start the renewal process, because it can all change literally overnight.

Here in deepest, darkest Essonne, it used to be you HAD to go to the main prefecture in Evry. Then, they changed it so that you had to go to the sous-prefecture closest to where you lived. Then they changed it so that where you went for renewal was determined by what sort of visa/CDS you had. And now there are some categories where you can just mail it all in.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought you had done your OFII appointment and were just waiting on the language evaluation. In any event, they should generally tell you at the OFII visit where to apply for your CDS renewal. HOWEVER - these things change all the time. You seriously need to wait until a month or two before you are able to start the renewal process, because it can all change literally overnight.

Here in deepest, darkest Essonne, it used to be you HAD to go to the main prefecture in Evry. Then, they changed it so that you had to go to the sous-prefecture closest to where you lived. Then they changed it so that where you went for renewal was determined by what sort of visa/CDS you had. And now there are some categories where you can just mail it all in.
Cheers,
Bev
Yes, that's what I told Everhopeful, that I just had to take my test Monday to see how many hours I need.

I wanted to know not just because of my renewal but also so I can exchange my drivers license. I guess I'll wait though. As for the OFII telling us where to go... Ha, I couldn't understand anything when the lady was talking about Préfectures and papers we needed to collect to complete the contract with the government. There was a screaming baby and the lady was talking a bit too fast for me. I could only pick out a few words here and there, lol.

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
The driver's license should be pretty simple - and has little or nothing to do with where you renew your titre de séjour. Start with the préfecture in which you ilve - the website should have something about driving licenses and foreigners. Or, just stop by the mairie one day and ask them. (They generally are very happy to check which office you can or should do these administrative things.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
The driver's license should be pretty simple - and has little or nothing to do with where you renew your titre de séjour. Start with the préfecture in which you ilve - the website should have something about driving licenses and foreigners. Or, just stop by the mairie one day and ask them. (They generally are very happy to check which office you can or should do these administrative things.)
Cheers,
Bev
To the OP:
Probably best to check closer to the time when you can do the exchange, as services provided by Sous-Prefectures change - or just go straight to the Prefecture. I would suggest the DL will be very straightforward. RayRay posted elsewhere on the documents he provided to his Prefecture, an excellent starting point to work out what is required. (I had issues exchanging my DL because I was here on the basis of my EU passport, and hence had no carte de sejour, and my DL was from Australia - but that will not be the case for you as you have your visa and TDS in your passport, which, I assume, match your DL).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, thank you both!

Do you think that there will be an issue with my husband having a CDD instead of a CDI?

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
If you were married to an EU national - there "could" be an issue over the CDD vs. CDI - but as the wife of a French national, there should be no problem. They are mainly only concerned that you 1. are still married and living together and 2. that DH is still a French citizen. His employment status is neither here nor there.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 18 of 18 Posts