Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm having this issue, even though i think its a pretty easy and common case.
I was born in israel in 1987. My mother was born in the England and has a passport (though not valid by now) and everything, She left England when she was 17.

My will is to have a EU passport so I can freely move between the countries of the union, learn and work. For that, I assumed i need to apply for 'settlement' in England. Correct me at this point if i'm wrong.

I've started filling out the forms in the Visa4uk online site, and then i got to part which asks me about a 'sponsor'. I'm not quite sure what exactly does it supposed to mean. I do have family in England, and if there is a need for some sort of a connection in over there, they won't mind at all giving all the details. But if a sponsor is means literally someone who supports you, then the fact is that i don't really need support. I have my savings and a small monthly income that can hold my for a while.

So if you can help me get the things right, I'll be full of appreciation.
Thanks guys :cool:

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hi there,
I'm having this issue, even though i think its a pretty easy and common case.
I was born in israel in 1987. My mother was born in the England and has a passport (though not valid by now) and everything, She left England when she was 17.

My will is to have a EU passport so I can freely move between the countries of the union, learn and work. For that, I assumed i need to apply for 'settlement' in England. Correct me at this point if i'm wrong.

I've started filling out the forms in the Visa4uk online site, and then i got to part which asks me about a 'sponsor'. I'm not quite sure what exactly does it supposed to mean. I do have family in England, and if there is a need for some sort of a connection in over there, they won't mind at all giving all the details. But if a sponsor is means literally someone who supports you, then the fact is that i don't really need support. I have my savings and a small monthly income that can hold my for a while.

So if you can help me get the things right, I'll be full of appreciation.
You don't need to apply for settlement in UK. You are already a British citizen (by descent). You can just apply for British passport with some supporting documents, such as your birth certificate, your mother's birth certificate and possibly her marriage certificate (if relevant).

All applications in Israel are handled in France. See Passports

Remember as a citizen by descent, any children of yours born outside UK aren't automatically British. But if you live in UK for three years before having them, they can be registered as British.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its really becoming a mystery

Hey there joppa, thanks for the quick response! :)

Its really becoming a mystery. The more i dig in, i find controversial information about eligibility of someone who was born after 1983 to a British parent for a citizenship.
direct.gov.uk claim:
At present, only children born on or after 1 January 1983 can automatically be British solely because of their mother's birth in the UK.
And on the other hand, at the home-office :
British citizenship may descend to one generation born abroad. So if you were born outside the United Kingdom or qualifying territory and one of your parents was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, you are a British citizen by descent. If you were born before 1 July 2006 you may not qualify if your parents were not married at the time of your birth.
which literally means that I am indeed, a citizen by descending.

So, is it so simple that I can just apply for a passport by adding the required documents? At direct.gov.uk it says:
To be eligible for a British passport, you must have British nationality
As you understand, I don't have anything right now.

That's kinda confusing. do you think you can slightly clear the things?

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hey there joppa, thanks for the quick response! :)

Its really becoming a mystery. The more i dig in, i find controversial information about eligibility of someone who was born after 1983 to a British parent for a citizenship.
direct.gov.uk claim:

And on the other hand, at the home-office :

which literally means that I am indeed, a citizen by descending.

So, is it so simple that I can just apply for a passport by adding the required documents? At direct.gov.uk it says:
As you understand, I don't have anything right now.

That's kinda confusing. do you think you can slightly clear the things?
It's quite simple really (to me at any rate!), though I must say the British nationality law is perhaps the most complicated in the world because of long colonial and commonwealth history.

Believe me you are already a British citizen from birth by descent from a British-born mother. Her marital status is irelevant as you aren't claiming it from your father. You don't need to apply or claim for citizenship. You already are!

So just apply for British passport enclosing relevant certificates.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's quite simple really (to me at any rate!), though I must say the British nationality law is perhaps the most complicated in the world because of long colonial and commonwealth history.

Believe me you are already a British citizen from birth by descent from a British-born mother. Her marital status is irelevant as you aren't claiming it from your father. You don't need to apply or claim for citizenship. You already are!

So just apply for British passport enclosing relevant certificates.
I believe, I believe :D
Just launched the smart form (nice move UK) and hope to get it right.
Many many thanks :angel:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.