Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am getting married in a couple weeks and looking to apply for spouse visa a few weeks thereafter. I will be applying via premium same-day service. I am currently on Tier 2 sponsored work visa. I am having a hard time understanding what documents I need exactly for this application. Please can anyone check this list for me and tell me what I'm missing, etc.?

Proof of living together for 2 years:
2 years (literally every month for two years) of joint statements from our shared Reward current account (Halifax)
2 years (literally every month for two years) of joint statements from my current account (Halifax)
2 years of water bills in both our names
2 years of council tax bills in our names
1 TV license

Documents in just my name that span 2 years:
Home Office approved marriage letter
NHS doctor registration
Pension signup letter
Car purchase from dealership
DVLA passed theory test
HM Rev document 2015-2016
Boots Optician letter

Documents in just my partner's name:
Home Office approved marriage letter
NHS correspondence
Insurance notification (Santander)
BT bill
Annual mortgage statement
Virgin phone direct debit confirmation letter
2 years of P11D letters
Will solicitor letter

Do we have enough in joint names to cover the requirement for proof of living together? I was going to use our itemised phone bills for proof of communication along with screenshots of WhatsApp messages, etc.

I also have P60, letter of employment, six months payslips, etc., but I have that lumped into an employment pile to go toward financial requirements. I know my income doesn't matter but want to include it anyway.

I'm concerned I'm submitting way too many documents. Do I really need to submit one document for every month or does one document literally count for one piece of evidence so (for example) I only need to submit six months of bank statements as opposed to two years? I know I need to submit 6 documents but is that literally 6 documents ONLY or is it 6 different types of documents that span 2 years, so a document for every three or four months or so for two years, which would make the application documentation much larger?

Also, does the Reward current account and normal current account (both at the same bank but different sort codes/account numbers) count as one document or two?

Which documents from our separate names can be included to make up the required 6 documents?

I'm sorry this seems dense. I'm just really confused on this application. I did my Tier 2 and Tier 4 before that with no trouble as I had clear guidance notes the Home Office supplied but I can't seem to find such clear guidance for the spouse visa.

Thank you so much for any help you can kindly provide. I am very, very grateful.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
A lot of your questions are irrelevant because I think you are under the misconception that you need to provide 2 years' worth of cohabitation evidence (as needed for second leave to remain as a spouse, or for unmarried partners). As you'll be married by the time you apply, you don't absolutely need proof of living together for 2 years (this is not required for your initial leave to remain in the UK as a spouse). Just include some evidence that you've been living together, it sounds like you have ample evidence. If you're living together, you don't really need to prove contact via whatsapp et al. You still need to prove you have a genuine marriage, so I'd suggest you still include photos taken together throughout your relationship and of your wedding.

DON'T include proof of your own income UNLESS you are using it toward the financial requirement. It only serves to confuse your application.

Again, the cohabitation requirement does not strictly apply to you at this point so don't worry about meeting it exactly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohh, I see. Thank you for the clarification. I must've misread the gov site regarding unmarried v spouse and needing the two years of evidence. My partner makes more than the financial requirement without my salary so I'll only include his financial info.

Thank you for your help! Really appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
It is a bit confusing - When you apply for your spouse visa extension in 2.5 years' time, you will need to show that you've been living together for the full period of your initial spouse visa, as you're expected to be living together as a married couple. At this point though, there's no requirement to have even lived together before marriage at all. The benefit of supplying proof you've been living together supports the fact that you are in a genuine partnership, and you really don't need to show communication evidence (as you are living together and you communicate in person), so just supply what you have, to a reasonable degree. It sounds like your habits of collecting post are serving you well, so definitely continue that trend for your subsequent visas!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.