Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just filling in the form 3916 and my french seems to be failing me here (and Google Translate only made me more confused).

The form 3916 contains 4 sections :

1) Name of tax-filer
2) ??
3) ??
4) Account details

The second and third sections aren't clear to me.

Section 2 : VOUS (OU L'UN DES MEMBRES DE VOTRE FOYER FISCAL) ÊTES TITULAIRE D'UN COMPTE OUVERT OU UTILISÉ À L'ÉTRANGER ET VOUS (OU L'UN DES MEMBRES DE VOTRE FOYER FISCAL) ÊTES UN PARTICULIER N'AGISSANT PAS EN QUALITÉ D'EXPLOITANT D'UNE ACTIVITÉ DONNANT LIEU À DÉCLARATION SPÉCIFIQUE DE RÉSULTATS

What on earth is this bit of dreadful legalese asking me, in plain language? What do they mean when they want me to confirm that I am a person "n'agissant pas en qualité d'exploitant d'une activité donnant lieu à déclaration spécifique de résultats"? That I am not using the account for business purposes?

Section 3 : VOUS (OU L'UN DES MEMBRES DE VOTRE FOYER FISCAL) ÊTES BÉNÉFICIAIRE D'UNE PROCURATION SUR UN COMPTE OUVERT OU UTILISÉ À L'ÉTRANGER* ET VOUS (OU L'UN DES MEMBRES DE VOTRE FOYER FISCAL) ÊTES UN PARTICULIER N'AGISSANT PAS EN QUALITÉ D'EXPLOITANT D'UNE ACTIVITÉ DONNANT LIEU À DÉCLARATION SPÉCIFIQUE DE RÉSULTATS

Same question essentially, though this one seems to refer to accounts in someone else's name of which I have power of attorney?

·
Administrator
49,392 Posts
Your French is better than you give yourself credit for - certainly on #3. Yes, that is asking about any accounts where you have a proxy for the actual "owner" of the account.

#2 is where you give them the details on your personal foreign accounts.

The second part of that heading on both #2 and #3 refers to accounts where you are the owner or proxy agent of a professional foreign account for a business.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts