Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am hoping my read of everything is correct, but you never know so wanted to throw this out there, and really hoping I did not screw myself.

In October 2011 I was given my termination on a job I had since Aug 2010 (because the project was cancelled and thus my job unnecessary, not cause). Been here doing visa runs since then. I should mention I have a MS in Engineering

I got a new job and started Feb 26 with a semi-government Abu Dhabi company. I was in a bit of a tricky situation with this new job (job 2), in that it looked like I had another offer on the horizon (job 3) that I was far more interested in but nothing in writing yet. My thinking at the time was that the other opportunity would be resolved while I was still on probation at the new job and so I could resign without issue.

Job 3 is actually working with a former employer through their branch in the UAE. They don't really employ a lot of folks here so are not well versed in the most current of labor laws. They raised the question about me not having met a 2 year requirement. I have not actually told them about the fact the new position, although they know I had another offer. This has now started to get me worried

They are currently processing my visa at job 2.

I am still under the belief that all is good and I can still make this last change and end up at job 3. I was terminated without cause at job 1 so that makes no 6 month ban and on probation at job 2 when I resign so all good there. My fallback is that I have an engineering degree and make over the required minimum 12K salary.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
If you have an MS in Engineering, it seems to me like the ban, etc does not apply. I would suggest however that you have the people at Job 3 put a rush on your offer if things are moving forward with them so that you can make the switch before your visa is actually processed at Job 2.

Rules and regulations out here can be moulded to suit one's convenience and if you are working for a semi-government organization in Abu Dhabi, why take the risk?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have an MS in Engineering, it seems to me like the ban, etc does not apply.
That is my belief (hope) that the degree makes everything else moot. Plus I will still be on probation at job 2, which supposedly means I can leave

I would suggest however that you have the people at Job 3 put a rush on your offer if things are moving forward with them so that you can make the switch before your visa is actually processed at Job 2.
That was my goal, unfortunately it did not pan out and I needed to get everything to HR for the visa. The situation is complicated with job 3 because the office I will actually be working for is in the USA. They have to do a bunch of behind the scenes corporate stuff to have me be employed by the branch here. It is the first time they have done it, so taking a while to get it all figured out

Rules and regulations out here can be moulded to suit one's convenience and if you are working for a semi-government organization in Abu Dhabi, why take the risk?
Yes Pam you have hit the nail on the head. Makes me a bit worried in that regard. I don't think they would do anything out of spite, but I have had experiences here that make me all to aware that ruffling the wrong feathers can have a big negative impact.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am also confused about the current ban rules.
Before there was no ban applicable if moving from LLC to a free zone company. Anyone know this is still applicable?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.